Building a new gaming PC. Potential Mac convert

Steeeeeve

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
So, my parents are still using our Macs from '07 and don't really mess with computers. Now that I'm older and have my own money I thought it'd be kinda fun to build my own gaming computer so I can play the newer games and MMOs better. However, because we are currently a Mac family, I don't have any parts I could scavenge except a mouse. (side note: I've done some research on the actual building, but I've never even had to install RAM so it's a little intimidating).

Aside from all that, I've done some research on some parts already and am willing to spend (a flexible) $1000 for monitor keyboard and all. I need help deciding what build I should go with to minimize complete overhauling in the future and cost. I found an intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor for $250 which is good because I think it doesn't need the new 2011 motherboard. I also think I want the AMD Radeon 7870 because it has good performance for a decent price.

Dhamilton

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
You are on the right track and in the right place to find all the info you need to succeed.
Building your own PC can be a very rewarding and educational experience.

First things first. Knowledge to get you going....
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601.htm
This was written a couple year ago but is a wonderful primer on things to consider when building.
When it comes to individual parts, Youtube will have vids on every individual part and task.

So, the Core i7 3770k is a socket 1155 processor and is overclockable
You need a MB that can hold it. You are looking for the Z77 Chipset on Motherboards. Here is an example( the one I use)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128546
Just be aware that you are at the top end of processor support. So while you will be able to expand on everything else, this is the fastest processor.
An alternative would be to go for an i5 3570k or even a non overclockable i5 or i7 that is Ivy Bridge (3rd gen)

The 7870 is an awesome Video card! I have the Ghz edition from Gigabyte and it kicks butt:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418
(You will be able to upgrade this later if you so desire)

After CPU, MB and GPU are decided, now you much round things out.
You need ram, 4 Gigs will be a nice starting point that can be heavily expanded later. 1.5V
You need a Power Supply. ATX compatable 500W+ 80+ Bronze Cert or better.
You need a Hard Drive. 500 Gigs or more. 7200 RPM or more.
This can be expanded greatly to include SSD, Multiple drives. But this is just a starting point.
You need a DvD drive. Inexpensive
You need the case. I use the Coolermaster HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
Inexpensive, Room for everything, and a cool look.
Lastly you need the Operating System. Windows 7 Home Premium or Pro.
You said you need a Monitor. 1080p with 60Hz refresh minimum.
Keyboard any will do to start you off.

Just remember the same rules apply to building computers as they do to cutting lumber.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.
Check All compatibility twice, Buy Once.

Steeeeeve

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Wow! Thanks for the fast and helpful reply! I'm still going through all your suggestions, but one thing I found when looking up motherboards is whether I will need thunderbolt ports. I saw the one you suggested and then saw another one by Gigabyte that is virtually the same but has 2 thunderbolt ports for an extra $50. I'm not sure if it's worth it and/or the future applications of it.
Next how can I tell which parts are all compatible other than the CPU and MB? Do I need to look up case dimensions to make sure all the components will fit?
For the PSU I found http:// but it says its compatible with the Sandy Bridge intel CPU but not the ivybridge so I'm not sure it will work.
For the GPU, I was wondering which side brand to go with. I mean there is the XFX, Gigabyte, ASUS, Sapphire, and others all for the same AMD Radeon 7870, which makes it even more confusing. Just wondering your thoughts.
Another thing. Should I go with Windows 7 or 8? 8 is newer and thus more expensive, but I was just wondering if it really matters for what I am doing.
Finally, as a reference point, how long will a system like this last before I need to spend another $200+ on an upgrade?

g-unit1111

Titan

You do not need an i7 to run a gaming rig. It would be far better to spend that money on getting a better GPU. The i7 is a waste of money for a gaming rig. I'd personally go for an i5 and then get a GTX 660TI or a Radeon 7950. The 7870 XT is a good choice as well but I'd rather get a higher end card if it were me. For Radeon cards the best brands on the market are Sapphire, Gigabyte, and XFX. For NVIDIA the best brands are EVGA and Gigabyte.

Another thing. Should I go with Windows 7 or 8? 8 is newer and thus more expensive, but I was just wondering if it really matters for what I am doing.

That's debatable. Metro I can take it or leave it. Otherwise I'd stick with Windows 7.

Here's what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($175.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.45 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($72.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $910.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-13 17:05 EDT-0400)

The CPU isn't overclockable but with the budget you can get a nice monitor or add an SSD.

ballerslife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013

Steeeeeve

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

I was thinking a z77 anyways but I still have concerns regarding the size of everything. The huge high end video cards seem to take up a lot of space and nobody seems to give any dimensions.

g-unit1111

Titan

Not necessarily. Sapphire Vapor X 7970 and even the Gigabyte Windforce 3X only take up two slots on your motherboard. Only larger coolers like the one found on Asus cards would take up more.