~1.5k build. EVGA 680, i5. Need help

mark anderson

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
You guys seem very knowledgable about this kind of stuff, hope you guys can help me. Im building a pc from scratch, a complete noob. My previous pc was a laptop from 2008 that had a nvidia 8400gt. I've never had a great computer and this build will be 99% than my previous laptop so im super excited to be able and join the cool games like bf2, crises 3 and etc. I mostly played tf2 and mw2 because thats the most my laptop could handle (feel sorry for me)

I'm buying either a EVGA 680 stock 2gb, or a EVGA 680 superclocked signature edition 2gb. Dont know the difference but i do know that the superclocked version is better i guess. I'm also going to buy a 2nd one for sure, but im debating if ill use it for sli or to build a 2nd pc. (I social engineer, yes im a crook, but thats how im getting the 2nd one).

I want to get the intel i5 3570k, but if i'm going to sli, would i need the i7 3770k? To me it doesnt seem to make a big difference since its only .1 extra ghz and its a $100 difference.

I really need help picking out a mother board though, they all look the same to me, i just know i will most likely go sli in the future, but i also know i might use the second evga 680 for a 2nd build. I will most likely go with either 2x 4gb ram, or if needed 2x 8gb ram? 2x 4gb ram seems more than enough. I mainly game and thats it, no intense video editing or anything... Could you guys give me a brief overview of what mobo i could get?

Also for the power supply, how much watts would i need if im going to just use 1 gfx card, and how much watts would i need if i go sli?
If i plan on going sli, ill get the higher watt power supply, if i plan on building 2 seperate pc's ill just go with the lower one for the 2nd pc and a little higher one for my main build if i plan on upgrading something later.

extra:
I want to make sure this pc will last long, so i was told a cpu cooler would be a safe investment for $30ish bucks. (fan?)
I'm going to get a SDD for my OS and either 1 or 2 Sata drives for storage (500gb/1t or something each).
I dont need blu ray players or readers really so i dont know if theirs a real big price difference between those and a regular optical drive.
Whats a stylish case i could also get that has good air flow?
Also would i need a aftermarket cooler for my gpu? Or 2 gpu's if i plan on going sli.

I basically want a pc that will run all current games at max settings and will last me atleast the next 2-3 years. Could you guys recommend me what parts i should get that will work fairly well with the way i want to setup my build.

Case: Unkown
PSU: Unkown (should i just get a 850 watt?)
Mobo: Unkown. Z77? (must support EVGA gt680 sli)
GPU: GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
RAM: 16gb(2x 8gb) Corsiar @ 1600 MHz
CPU: Intel-Core™ i5-3570K Processor 3.4GHz
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
ssd/hdd: Unkown (not a big concern)
Optical drive: Unkown
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster P2770HD (i got 3 promo codes for coby tv's so i will be either getting 2 40+ tv's or 3. If i get 3, they will all be the same models for a better multi-monitor setup.)
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder x6
Mouse: ill use my previous mouse.

I will update this ^ as more feedback is given.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: This is what i have chosen. I just need help finding a case.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JGKD
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JGKD/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JGKD/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($483.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($483.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($175.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X6 Wired Standard Keyboard

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JGKD

g-unit1111

Titan
I really need help picking out a mother board though, they all look the same to me, i just know i will most likely go sli in the future, but i also know i might use the second evga 680 for a 2nd build. I will most likely go with either 2x 4gb ram, or if needed 2x 8gb ram? 2x 4gb ram seems more than enough. I mainly game and thats it, no intense video editing or anything... Could you guys give me a brief overview of what mobo i could get?

Always get the latest and greatest that you can. You definitely want a Z77 or Z87 in this case. No need for extra RAM if you're not doing anything other than gaming.

Also for the power supply, how much watts would i need if im going to just use 1 gfx card, and how much watts would i need if i go sli?
If i plan on going sli, ill get the higher watt power supply, if i plan on building 2 seperate pc's ill just go with the lower one for the 2nd pc and a little higher one for my main build if i plan on upgrading something later.

550W for a single, 750W for a dual.

If you're going to do some serious overclocking I'd heavily suggest going with a GTX 670 from Gigabyte over a reference EVGA 680. The reason is that the Gigabyte has an excellent cooling solution with three fans where the EVGA only has a single.

Here's what I would suggest with $1500:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1358.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-13 14:26 EDT-0400)

mark anderson

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

its only a $30 difference. I heard that i should have a power supply that is double than the pc. So i have 565 watt setup, wouldn't a 1000 watt be better because it would be running at 50% making it quieter, more efficient, etc?

g-unit1111

Titan

That's not entirely true. I personally think it's better to have more than the minimal wattage but you definitely don't need double, especially for a single GPU setup. Dual I'd get at least 850W but I wouldn't go beyond that. The thing is GPUs are getting more energy efficient with each generation so the days of 1KW PSUs are coming to an end. Plus Cooler Master is a brand with a very iffy reputation. I personally would go with a more efficient PSU from a better trusted brand like the one I linked to earlier. It's made by Super Flower and has really strong components. This is what happens when you get a Cooler Master PSU: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=188

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
To add onto G-unit's answer, it is not good to have a PSU that is way higher than what is actually need because those PSUs get tested on the efficiency of 20%, 50%, and 90% and when you have a computer where your max Watt usage is only half of the PSU you will be wasting a lot of money on power because at idle, the efficiency is lower than what should be rated.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition 89.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.25 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1285.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-15 16:41 EDT-0400)

you can also change the PSU(or add a different fan) because it can become loud at times.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-tachyon750
doesnt really change the sound but just putting it out there since this is one of the cheaper plat supplies that is pretty reliable

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu750hx
gold rated, fan does not run unless it needs to.

mark anderson

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

I'm actually really leaning towards sli now, and i bought everything on my list except for a hdd/ssd/optical drive/OS (im going to torrent it)/case. Im going to get 3 27in monitors and i really want to setup a really cool 3 way monitor gaming screen. At the moment i only have 1 27in tv but also a monitor, but i will have 4 monitors total, 3 for my main rig and my old one for either a 2nd cheaper build for kids/family pc or use it as a tv. I was planning on upgrading my tv to a 40in. Coby tv has a really good deal going on. Anyways side tracked, back to the psu, i already bought it, if i go w/ sli, 1000w is more than needed, i had friends telling me more watt is better and people who built pc's for awhile also telling me 1000w is a safe bet. I'm not reconsidering and might return it for a better brand because of what you said.

what i really need now is just a good case. As of now, i guess im just picking out a case that looks cool. Friends have told me that a case that supports water cooling is a good choice if i plan on going that way in the future.

Wouldnt the psu only use enough watts to support itself instead of using more than it needs? In other words wouldnt the psu only supply the watts needed ~400-500.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
The PSU will use the Watts it will need but it will still be 400/1000 at max performance. At that rate 40% at max performance of your PC. At idle is will be much lower like 100/1000 which is 10% and even if it is a gold or plat, it does not get rated at 10% but at 20%, 50%, and 100%.

To make things a bit shorter, at idle you want to try to get it around 20% and at max 80-90%. Since you are going SLI config the 650W will be enough for the 670s running about 80% with no overclock

g-unit1111

Titan

Do not, repeat DO NOT under any circumstances torrent your operating system. It will lead to some serious consequences if Microsoft finds out. Pay the $100 for the OEM version and be done with it, or face court battles, mounting legal fees, and other harsh consequences. Don't say I didn't warn you.

3 27" monitors would be sweet, especially if those monitors are 1440p. I'm planning to get one of those Korean displays off eBay shortly - probably the Yamakasi Catleap and use it alongside my trusty 24" Acer.

As far as case recommendations go that depends on how much you want to spend. Water cooling isn't really necessary. Get a Noctua D14 as it's the best bang for buck air cooler you can find - it smashes pretty much all but the priciest water coolers. A couple of good ones are the NZXT Switch 810 and the Fractal Design Define R4.

mark anderson

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Are you serious? Microsoft is tracking down on these? It takes like 30minutes to download it from tpb and i've seen various successful crackers online that activates it. I'm just really curious now if microsoft actually is taking brute action. there must be millions of people who have downloaded/activated windows 8 via torrent.

g-unit1111

Titan

Microsoft and a lot of other vendors are getting serious about piracy, it's definitely not something to take lightly. If you get a Windows 8 OEM license it is now extended to system builders which means that it's perfectly legal to use and it's less than $100. A lot cheaper than torrenting it.

g-unit1111

Titan

True, there's plenty of free, legitimate stuff you can get if you look for it. Use Open Office instead of buying MS Office. Use AVG Free instead of Norton 360 (although you should never use Norton 360 :lol: ). Use Ubuntu if you don't want to pay for Windows 7 or 8.

g-unit1111

Titan

They both use the same processor and the 670 is $100 cheaper. Plus you can get better cooling solutions for less money (like the Gigabyte Windforce 3X) and then when you put the card in SLI mode it gives you near equivalent performance to the GTX 690.