Bottlenecking - how to predict and avoid when purchasing GPU?

Sailer11

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
How can I find out if a video card is too strong for my CPU before actually buying it?

I'd like to purchase the best card my CPU can handle, but I can't find any guides/information as to what would be optimal pairings.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Generally though you turn your graphics all the way down to low and a low resolution. using fraps you can see what the max frames your CPU is capable of in said game. Then max the setting out at the resolution you wish to play at. If your FPS is is lower then you low setting then your CPU has more head room for stronger graphics otherwise your bottle-necked.

Sailer11

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
My CPU - A8 quad core 2.9 GHz
8 GB RAM

I'm open to any suggestions, but thinking mostly of Radeon.

Ideally finding a good match before buying would be great, as returning it could be problematic.

biopolar

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
There is really no guide/none that I've seen when upgrading/buying toys. (and hot damn if anyone could ever make one).
most people will tell you "you'll know when you start playing!" lol

My own rule has been,
1- research the cpu and gpu you want, google if the combination has had any bottlenecks reported or go to forums and ask about the said combination.
2- Usually, and usually means 80% of the time, ususally cpus and gpus that have come out within the last 2-3 years will not bottleneck. You come to know the "generation" of gpu's and cpu's that cannot possibly bottleneck with time.

It's always a fail-safe to ask/google before you buy.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
personally i prefer nvida cards. This generation in particular the amd 7000 series has some frame latancy issues. while your frame rate may be high it can still appear to stutter. therefore i would buy an nvidia GPU within your budget. I might suggest a gtx 660 ti ($280ish) or gtx 670 ($380ish)

Sailer11

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

To be honest I thought that anything beyond the Radeon 7850 would be wasted potential (given my CPU), so my budget would max 200$.

Trenter

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

From what I understand the latency issues are caused by the drivers and are currently being ironed out by AMD, therefore the 7850 1GB could be a good investment (even if the issues are only eradicated later on)?

Also, I was thinking 200 canadian dollars, thefore I'd say 150$US ;)
Even when the candian dollar was stronger, Newegg canada prices were still higher the its USA counterpart.

(sorry if any confusion about poster's name, i'm writing from my desktop now)