A really weird modem tale

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hi.

It was about a month ago that I set up a wireless network to my house,being shared by 3 computers.A desktop computer upstairs,a work laptop (which I used to set up the network,the pc with modem drivers and stuff) and mother's laptop.

It was all functioning nicely until yesterday night,when the internet speed suddenly dropped drastically and the work laptop lost connection.I though it was a temporary problem with the internet provider,so I did not really care about it,but still turned off the modem when going to sleep.

And when I turned it back on this morning,at first none of the PCs could connect.The laptops ocasssionally wouldn't even see the modem in the wireless connections list.After a lot of resetting and turning on/off wireless scan in the laptops,the system stabilized at the following state:

-Mother's laptop,which sits very close to the modem,functioning almost without problems at full download speed.(It rarely briefly loses connection though)

-Desktop PC,which is upstairs has connection,but really slow.I did a speed test,got results of 5000+ kbps with mom's laptop while the desktop can barely reach 2000.
I tried taking mom's pc upstairs,and the connection speed drops to match desktop.I imagine due to the signal weakening,there is some decrease in speed,but I know the desktop connection wasn't THIS slow.I can hardly stream Youtube videos at 240p,while I rarely used to wait for a video to load.

-Work laptop totally out of connection.It does see the modem and "connect",but whenever I try to open a website,it just loads forever before giving up telling me there is no connection and advising me to check my dsl settings.

I contacted the internet provider,they claim there's nothing wrong on their side.Still,an employee over the phone tried to make me check my modem settings,making me write the modem IP on a browser page,and...I couldn't even connect to modem settings.(occured on work laptop,which seems unable to connect to ANYTHING over a browser)

So,I would be grateful if someone has any advice for me.
Thanks for reading through my short story and your help =)

Do you have a router and modem separately or just a modem/router combo? If you connect a computer directly to a ethernet cable to the modem, reboot it, does it connect? Do you have link lights on the network card if the cable is connected? Try different ports?

Need to narrow down where the issue is, sounds like you only tested wireless connection, need to try a cable.