AMD A10 (Richland) HTPC/Light Gaming

newbuildr

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Hi!

When the AMD Richland A10-6800k becomes available I'm planning on putting together a Mini-ITX system built around it for HTPC and light gaming duties.

So in the meantime, I'm trying to select the parts and pieces needed and looking for some advice.

The cases I am looking at are:

Lian Li PC-Q09FN
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112359

Silverstone Sugo SG05b-USB3.0 300w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163207

The pc will be using a 40 inch flat screen as a display, and plan to do a bit of overclocking, nothing extreme. Are the stock coolers supplied with these APUs sufficient for this? If an aftermarket is a good idea, any recommendations that will meet the space requirements of these cases? Or, is it recommended to forgo overclocking and go with the 6700?

The Lian Li supports 50mm CPU cooler
Silverstone 82mm CPU cooler

Storage will be Samsung 256GB SSD, and will pick up 8GB 2133 RAM. These cases support slim ODD, any Blu Ray reader recommendations? Also looking for a recommended USB TV tuner (North America).

To sum up
Stock A10 CPU cooler sufficient for mild overclocking?
Recommended 50mm or less CPU cooler for AMD A10
Recommended 82mm or less CPU cooler for AMD A10
Recommended Internal slim 5.25 Blu-Ray drive
Recommended USB OTA tuner (North America)

Thanks!

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
If the A10-6800K's power draw and heat is anything like the A10-5800K, which I expect it will be, you're going to want to go with the A10-6700 in a mini-ITX case. I've built a few A10-5700 systems with the MSI FM2 mini-ITX motherboard in the Realan E-i7 case. The stock cooler with an 80mm fan works great but I do need a 150W power supply for it. To compare, the A8-3820 Llano would run fine with a low-profile cooler and a 120W PSU. So, it definitely needs more power and more cooling that you would think. A 100W TDP APU would just fry in a mini-ITX case.

newbuildr

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Thanks for the reply Dougie Fresh.

In digging into this further I am seeing you have the right of it in regards to a A10 K series processor just isn't a good idea in these small ITX packages. Surprisingly there are very few Low profile coolers, and none of which can cope with a 100+watt APU.

Outstanding questions remain however...
Is the stock cooler with the 6700/5700 sufficient, or is aftermarket recommended?
Any recommendations on Internal slim 5.25 blu-ray drives?
Recommended usb OTA tuners (North America)
Given that I won't need 300 watt power supplies, I may look into other case options, any recommendations that are comparable to the form-factor of the Lian Li and Sugo 05?

To answer my own question about coolers that are 50mm or less that work with AMD FM2 sockets, there are only 2 (that I have found), neither of which support 100watt CPU.
Gelid Slim Silence
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gelid-solutions-cpu-cooler-ccssilenceaplus
Noctua NH-l9a
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9a

I'm not sure how much better these are over a stock cooler, or if there are better out there that I have not found.

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
For the A10-5700, I've found the stock cooler to work well actually. It does a better job of cooling compared to the low profile Akasa and Silverstone coolers (I've used those with the A6-3500 in the Realan E-i5 case). When I've built A10-5700s in the E-i7 case, the stock cooler plus a 80mm fan keeps things around 35C-40C at idle and under 60C for HTPC duties. No matter how you slice it though, load is going to put this at 70C.

For slim drives -- slot load or tray load?

For cases, as much as I love Lian-Li I had the first version of the PC-Q09 and found it was horrible for cooling. If the top of the cooler was near the top of the case, the air whistled through the vent there. I don't know much about the 2nd version and I've never used the Sugo. I build A10-5700s in the Realan E-i7 case with the 150W PSU and it has a slot-load so I use the Toshiba TS-TB23L.

newbuildr

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
It's good to hear the stock cooler works well. As to slot load or tray, I wouldn't say I have a preference, so long as it would work in that bay with no issues.

I'm back to thinking the Sugo SGO5B is going to be my best bet for what I want to do. It's small enough, but offers some expansion if I need it, a robust power supply to support that expansion, and allows 82mm for cooling should it be necessary. It has gotten some good reviews as well.

I'll look at that blu-ray, and hopefully can find a good OTA tuner and should be ready to go when Richland hits the shelves.

newbuildr

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Yeah, I saw that. Kinda frustrating when you have conflicting reports floating around. Makes you wonder what the March 19th announcement was about, with no sign of any richland product available.

Wishful thinking I know but wish AMD would clear this up, if I wait till June, I'd sooner get a Haswell chip, and I don't want to get a Trinity now just to find out next week looky here Richland on the shelves.

olddy

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

olddy

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
I have done simular, with 5800k on MSI A85xma-35 Heat is the problem that you first have to tackle, the easy way with that is to use an old heat sink and fan from 965 or 1100t with copper base, then slow the fan down. I'm using a slim desktop or stand on side case comes with a stand, and, a 620w micro power supply came with the case $72.90, two g-skill 1899x8gb, Liteon BD, W/D green 2tb, all works good, if you lay it down as a desktop you need to put legs under it to allow air flow, on its side in the stand it looks expensive, air flow out the top and concealed handle. The case is as listed - HPS mini-01B slim mini tower micro 620 w quiet desktop case 2xusb HD audio pc, 415mm(D)x 95mm(W)x300mm(H). It is listed on E-Bay by PCLIVE Computers online trading name or suninau2003@hotmail.com total cost less than $500.00 plus O/S off your choosing.AS is, plays F/C 3 Batt/F-3, also have tried it with Sappire HD 6570 2gb L/P works ok no problems. Have fun with your build. I am waiting for the 6800k. Please make a note, the 88X chipset is due out around September this is made for the 6800k cpu.