XFX 7850 Issues.

SpitefulSprite

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Hello, I've been encountering some problems with my XFX 7850, first off, I have it paired with a FX-8150 OC'd at 4.3ghz, and 8gb of RAM. This lag occurs generally throughout all games it seems when pushed to the max, but not games such as crysis 3, but such as saints row the third. I'll notice it start to lag after awhile of playing, I've monitored it to make sure it isn't overheating, which it's not, and I don't know what could be the problem. A major example of framerate issues, is in Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army, it'll play fine without the multisampling and anisotropic filtering. I feel like from what I've read, people with similar setups such as mine are running it on those settings without any issues. If someone could help, that'd be amazing, and find out what my issues are. Also, another issue is battlefield 3, it seems the gpu load goes down significantly after awhile into the game. For instance, it'll stay at 99% like it should, then shoots down sometimes into the 50's, 60's and 70's, then proceeds to go back up. I'm running at max settings, and I know my cpu can't possibly be bottlenecking, if anyone has any suggestions, things I can link to help, I'll gladly comply just to solve this issue :p. Thanks.

You won't ever be maxing Crysis 3 on that card, cards twice the price cant do it, an SLI/Crossfire system is needed to do it. Saints 3 is a terrible console port so don't worry about it, Google around and you'll see endless whining over its awful performance. BF3 seems odd, it can be very very CPU intensive in multiplayer so I wouldn't throw a CPU bottleneck completely out the window, use hwmonitor and set the OSD to display your CPU core's usage just to make sure. BF3 is one of the few games that gives the CPU an actual workout rather than sitting there.

But if you mean you are getting drops from 99% to the 50% range and FPS is staying high then theres nothing to worry about, just means you've reached the framerate limit and the GPU has nothing more to render.

SpitefulSprite

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Oh heavens no, never expected to run Crysis 3. As for Battlefield 3 and the gpu load, the framerate sinks with it, along with other games I'm experiencing lag, it seems like such as some of the most simplistic games can make the gpu load go down along with the framerate for me, not completely sure why. Whether it's just me making a mistake on my part for making the assumption that those would run at the levels I'm describing, or it's just something wrong with my hardware.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
you don't happen to be running a program like F.LUX in the background, do you? I had a similar issue (Flux on the 2 hour dimming) and it would hurt my FPS until I disabled F.LUX.

Other than that, you have it at stock clocks? Might want to check that your CPU isn't overheating as well, seeing as how it's OC'd as that could cause issues.

I'd say all of those are kind of shots in the dark, but that's what i can come up with.

EDIT: latest drivers or beta drivers?

SpitefulSprite

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Oh no, my CPU isn't overheating, it's water cooled, so it's pretty chill, it's sitting around 14C idle, and a little higher during load. Card's at stock settings. And no, not running flux, :p.

Edit: Lastest drivers, this has been a consistent problem sadly, but I got frustrated and decided to see if anyone could help me.

TRENDING THREADS