Phenom 965 BE stock fan doesn't fit mobo?

Naicitrom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Hey guys/gals.
First time builder here in a state of panic. I can't for the life of me get the stock cooler to fit my Asus M5A78L-M. I've happened across videos on Youtube that appear to show a different design of cooler, and also a couple of posts on this forum; one saying I'll need an aftermarket one, and one saying the stock fan "gets" first time builders, as in confuses.
And now I'm totally stuck.
Any tips?

Edit: It's the HDZ965FBGMBOX CPU, if it makes a difference.

Cthomps

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
From What I can see looking at photos on Newegg of that Motherboard should work fine. I have that CPU and the latches are pretty simple for the stock cooler. Just make sure the non latch side is hooked first and then its pretty straight frward from there. Hope that helps. Its like strapping down something in the bed of a truck. Hook one side first pull tight then hook the other side and tighten.

Naicitrom

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
Thanks for your reply! I've been trying at this for more than three hours now, and all it really took was brute force. A lot more force than I was comfortable with putting on any of my shiny new bits, but it got there in the end. Hopefully this thread can serve someone else in the future. :)

yeah i had the issue when putting the stock cooler on a fx 8150 and a sabertooth. some extra force to get the clamps in place and set to go, i was getting frustrated as usually its easier but it should fit lol its only meant to work with the stock bracket on am2-am3+ boards lol