Xi3 CEO Responds to Valve's Steam Box Comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012
So if Valve is out of picture for this console, who the heck are they marketing it to? What PC gamer in their right mind is going to pay $1000 for a quad-core APU and a 128 SSD? Answer me!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
That will be the difference between Piston and other Steam Box units: the ability to use a multitude of distribution platforms like Origin, GameFly, Steam and others

Gamefly is a joke for PC, and the only reason Origin has a large number of users, is due to EA's requirements of forcing people to sign up to play certain games online. Not because people like it.

Direct2Drive, Onlive, Gamestop and Games for Windows are all more viable alternatives to steam than Origin or Gamefly.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Dupontrocks11[/nom]So if Valve is out of picture for this console, who the heck are they marketing it to? What PC gamer in their right mind is going to pay $1000 for a quad-core APU and a 128 SSD? Answer me![/citation]

It wouldn't be marketed to the average Joe consumer. This is for businesses and companies that need upgrades and a fast system for a small amount of space being taken up. With this, all you need is a monitor, Piston, keyboard, mouse and internet connection. Without this you have a huge tower to lug around taking space, especially companies with LOTS of employees.

It has never been said that the Piston is the Steambox so I don't know why everyone thought it was.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]It wouldn't be marketed to the average Joe consumer. This is for businesses and companies that need upgrades and a fast system for a small amount of space being taken up. With this, all you need is a monitor, Piston, keyboard, mouse and internet connection. Without this you have a huge tower to lug around taking space, especially companies with LOTS of employees.It has never been said that the Piston is the Steambox so I don't know why everyone thought it was.[/citation]
Lol. Businesses and companies will buy laptops rather than this.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]It wouldn't be marketed to the average Joe consumer. This is for businesses and companies that need upgrades and a fast system for a small amount of space being taken up. With this, all you need is a monitor, Piston, keyboard, mouse and internet connection. Without this you have a huge tower to lug around taking space, especially companies with LOTS of employees.It has never been said that the Piston is the Steambox so I don't know why everyone thought it was.[/citation]
please notice how in the responce, they are marketing the piston as a gaming console.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Lol. Businesses and companies will buy laptops rather than this.[/citation]

Big corporations like Microsoft and Apple would not buy laptops, small businesses would, but big businesses would not.

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
hmm.. laptop is exactly what big corporations give to user.. they want ppl bring the laptop home work over weeknight and weekend. desktop is too big, and tablet only good for citrix vpn limited used. i have no idea why would any company spend 1000$ (700$ discount rate) on it. if its for space.. there always remote terminal which take no desk space at all (and only cost 300$)

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]It wouldn't be marketed to the average Joe consumer. This is for businesses and companies that need upgrades and a fast system for a small amount of space being taken up. With this, all you need is a monitor, Piston, keyboard, mouse and internet connection. Without this you have a huge tower to lug around taking space, especially companies with LOTS of employees.

It has never been said that the Piston is the Steambox so I don't know why everyone thought it was.[/citation]
This needed to be in two separate posts so I could vote the first down and the second up...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I don't know what businesses you have in mind, echondo, but plenty of large businesses buy laptops for employees, and I don't know any company that would buy gaming consoles for their employees, or many workers who need to take their towers home from work but either doesn't have and use a laptop, or would find the performance in this thing sufficient.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]Big corporations like Microsoft and Apple would not buy laptops, small businesses would, but big businesses would not.[/citation]

You obviously don't work in a big corporation. I work for Verizon and we're all issued laptops so we can work from home if needed as well as if we need to work at a location that we don't normally work from. And I know Microsoft also follows this attitude as well from former colleagues that work for Microsoft now.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
It's Definatey a gaming rig, but it doesn't stand a chance no matter what name is on the side of it. Most people who spnd that much on a PC, wants something they can customize, that won't happen with this little box. DOA.

Skcor

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
"Xi3 believes that the way to take this to market today is to do so with a Windows OS at the core"

The lack of adaption will quickly destroy this company. Goodbye Xi3, your short lived fame thanks to Valve was nice.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I knew it wasn't the Steambox as soon as I saw the price. Either that, or Gabe is crazier than I thought, lol. I imagine that's the main reason he wants to stick with Linux, he can shave off a chunk of money on the retail end by doing that. Too bad he has to make himself look foolish by bashing Win 8 in the process. I mean, Gabe's a nice guy, I like him, and he's smart, but he's just off base there.

I have a hard time believing any console can get significantly competitive with the PC these days, without costing as much or more (unless of course they heavily subsidize the price). And, there's the upgrade issue. An Xbox 360 or PS3 made sense when they were released, but they are a drag on game quality now. Hopefully the console lovers will get something that is both competitive AND upgradable. (It matters to me because it has effected the quality of graphics on PC versions more than anything else. However, game devs are moving away from that methodology and taking more advantage of PC graphics now, so it might not be an issue.)

24oz

Dec 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Seriously? You should put your palm on your forehead immediately. I guess you missed the memo a couple years ago that direct2drive is now gamefly. Maybe you should game a little bit before you make any type of comment about distribution platforms. Games for Window is a fricken nightmare who everyone only has to play batman AA or AC because they are forced too (wow just like Origin). Your post is foolish.[/citation]
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Most businesses are going virtual thin clients. Why would they ever pay a premium for this??[/citation]
Agreed Games for Windows is terrible and I used to buy from D2D but since Gamefly bought them I don't anymore.Greenman and Amazon are good places to buy digital download games.

I actually like that Gabe bashed windows 8. At least he spoke his mind which is rare for people in his position. I'm hoping they do get the Stem box to take off using Linux. In a perfect world all games would use OpenGL which would allow them to rather easily port to Linux or Mac's along with Windows. This could help Linux adoption and do I dare say maybe even the Mac adoption rate too. All of this is a good thing for competition which MS really hasn't had to date.

[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]I actually like that Gabe bashed windows 8. At least he spoke his mind which is rare for people in his position. I'm hoping they do get the Stem box to take off using Linux. In a perfect world all games would use OpenGL which would allow them to rather easily port to Linux or Mac's along with Windows. This could help Linux adoption and do I dare say maybe even the Mac adoption rate too. All of this is a good thing for competition which MS really hasn't had to date.[/citation]

If by *speak his mind* you mean *told blatant lies about Windows 8 regardless of how good or bad we think it is*, then yes, he *spoke his mind*. He outright said that MS did things to stop Steam from working on Windows 8 which was not true in the least.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Gamefly is a joke for PC, and the only reason Origin has a large number of users, is due to EA's requirements of forcing people to sign up to play certain games online. Not because people like it.Direct2Drive, Onlive, Gamestop and Games for Windows are all more viable alternatives to steam than Origin or Gamefly.[/citation]
I thumbed you up, but please don't suggest GfWL. It's an abomination.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Dupontrocks11[/nom]So if Valve is out of picture for this console, who the heck are they marketing it to? What PC gamer in their right mind is going to pay $1000 for a quad-core APU and a 128 SSD? Answer me![/citation]
Ditto.
I don't get what Xi3 guys are thinking either.
Oh we are so exclusive let's charge double price for hardware that is meant for a platform that has yet to emerge? (Steam is old, but Steam Linux is something in a beta stage with very few games available)
WHO IS GOING TO BUY THIS THING AT THIS PRICE?!!

genz

Distinguished
Has anyone actually did a little research on these guys. Xi3 is owned by ISYS, a US defense contractor that mainly works with Lockheed Martin. They are peddling wares the same way the do to governments... late overpriced, but well packaged so they can make maximum profit.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Any company that did want to use a tiny box to save deskspace and power would spend about $700 less than this and get a netbox, like the Foxconn NT330i, or one of a thousand others very similar. This box is clearly marked as a gaming console and if you think otherwise you are probably mentally ill.

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

None of them, which makes its price point worse. PC gamers are more willing to accept a $1000 price point, but in this case, a slightly bigger form factor would reduce the cost, and allow for off the shelf parts to be used instead.

The device is obviously targeting console gamers, but I doubt they are willing to pay more than $599 for a game system - and if it doesnt start steam at boot - or requires a mouse, it's not giving them what they want either.

So PC enthusiasts will take the $1000 and just build a mini-ITX box, and console gamers will stick with what they know - systems from MS, Sony, or possibly Valve's own steambox, rumored to match console prices.

Dangi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Not even a real quad-core APU, beacuse it's a mobile APU as seen in the first image of it's insides, having a design close to zacate platform

Status
Not open for further replies.