Full throttle all the time AMD and Intel?

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Dumb question. I am currently OCing a 6300 Vishera right now and it made me look at my OC I did a while ago. The AMD is on a ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0 MoBo and the Intel i5 2500K is on an ASUS p8p67 Deluxe MoBo.

My question is I run Coretemp Gadget all the time just to keep an eye on things and it says I'm at full throttle with both OC's all the time.
Intel @4.5GHz and 1.36 V Maxes out at 66c in Prime
Amd @ 4.7GHz and 1.475 V Maxes out at 54c in Prime

They stay there all the time isn't Intels Speed Stepping Tech, and AMD's Turbo Core Tech, supposed to throttle them down when its just resting on the desktop?

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
You disable amd turbo core when overclocking and as far as im aware it cannot be used as you can't set the turbo speed, from what ive read you should be able to set the the turbo core multiplier on an intel just like you set the ordinary multiplier

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

so it's ok if it runs at the OC speed constantly? Coretemtp shows the voltage fluctuate according to work load but cpuz shows a constant OC clock ad voltage no matter the load?WTF? no fan controle.

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
yes its ok for overclock speed to be set constantly, its also ok for a small fluctuation in voltage on load as this is LLC doing its job and keeping you stable, cpu-z should be just showing you the voltage you have set in bios where as core temp will be showing you a live reading

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks Much, there's no best answer button no more?
P.S. I hate Toms new format and inserting hypertext sucks now.