Expanding volume suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jms209

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
So any way to make let's say a 25gb drive and make it expanding?
What I mean is once it goes over 25gb it increases the size automatically.

I have 750gb hard drive-680gb actually formatted.

Is it a good idea to make separate partitions for games,music,movies.etc....
Am I better off with just folders?
Anyone tried this out?

Solution
You can use software like Partition Wizard to do this manually, buI do not know of any software that will do it automatically.

I highly discourage using this sort of scheme for organizing storage: it poses unnecessary risks. You are better off organizing the files in seperate folders or in different storage spaces. With my storage I maintain disk integrity using 6 HDDs that contain over 11 TB of storage. If you span a storage space over more than one HDD you risk the loss of all data stored on that space if any of the storage disks go south. Plus I provide redundancy in backups.

Use folders and/or subpartitions of your physical media for the least risk. I know that it is more convenient to have large storage spaces, but the...

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
You can use software like Partition Wizard to do this manually, buI do not know of any software that will do it automatically.

I highly discourage using this sort of scheme for organizing storage: it poses unnecessary risks. You are better off organizing the files in seperate folders or in different storage spaces. With my storage I maintain disk integrity using 6 HDDs that contain over 11 TB of storage. If you span a storage space over more than one HDD you risk the loss of all data stored on that space if any of the storage disks go south. Plus I provide redundancy in backups.

Use folders and/or subpartitions of your physical media for the least risk. I know that it is more convenient to have large storage spaces, but the inhering risks are not worth the convenience.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS