PSU Clicking Noise

jeisonrs

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Hello.

My PSU is making a clicking noise every now and then, it's random, and it only seems to happen while idle, the noise stops at load.
The PSU is a XFX 750w Pro Core Edition.

It's this normal for this PSU, or should I be worried and RMA it?

Thanks in advance.

jeisonrs

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Ok, I did that, I watched it for some time, and there is no sparks that I can see.
I put it in the vertical position to do this, and the noise almost completely stopped, it happens a lot less frequently, but it makes a noise like it's hitting something, which makes me think it's something with the fan.
I'm gonna see if there isn't a wire touching the mobo or something like that.

jeisonrs

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Well, I took out all the cables I wasn't using, arranged them so the connections don't touch each other, then tied them all together with the cable tie the PSU came with, and stored in the second empty HDD cage, and tightened the cables that go to the mobo more, I also changed the socket where the PSU power cable goes into my surge protector and tightened it more, and it seems to be fixed now, I don't hear any more clicking noise.

Or the cables that go to the mobo were a little bit loose, or there was some wire connections touching each other, or the power cable was a little loose and the socket with a problem.

I'll come back if it starts happening again.

Sorry if there is some bad grammar. :p
Thanks for the answer!

EDIT: Well, it still happens, but not as often, and the sound is fainter, so maybe I did a poor job of storing the other cables, I'm gonna try do to a better job at it later.

jeisonrs

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I've looked more closely inside the PSU, and it seems that the fan is a tiny little bit bigger than the shield that protects and isolates it from the rest of the wires and circuits, thus the fan keeps touching it, and it's probably what is making that sound. There are scratches where the fan blades pass (the inner side of the shield). Either that or it was miss-aligned.

So I guess the only thing to do is wait until the fan becomes smaller by touching the inner side of the shield, because I think all these PSU's have the same problem, seeing that they are made exactly the same way, and there will be no use of RMA'ing it.

EDIT: When I would turn the PC off before, it did like 6~7 clicks before the fan completely stopped spinning, now that I shook the PSU a little, and tried to move the fan a little, the clicks completely stopped, even when I turned the PC off, not a single click.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
lshaking it must have realing the fan on the shaft and the bearing if everything else work good then go with it if you dont want to rma since you open it you must have break the seal so warranty is void .

jeisonrs

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
I haven't opened it, I just checked it on the bottom grill. I haven't heard any clicks since yesterday, and the PC is working as great as before.
I'll RMA it if it blows up on me :p

Thanks again for the answer!