Disable Secure Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
In system utility, it will not allow me to highlight the disable field. It skips down to 1. Windows Boot Manager

2013-03-13203010_zps413b99af.jpg

Solution
Secure boot is used in association with Win 8 to prevent the likes of root kit invasions. As you are installing 7 this will not be effective, so I imagine it will simply be ignored. Meanwhile perhaps switching back to Legacy will remove the Secure boot? If you do that check your HDD priorities and boot order before you attempt to install as it will likely restore defaults.
(Secure boot also prevents 'Unauthorised' installations, surely Win7 doesn't fall in that category!)
Secure boot is used in association with Win 8 to prevent the likes of root kit invasions. As you are installing 7 this will not be effective, so I imagine it will simply be ignored. Meanwhile perhaps switching back to Legacy will remove the Secure boot? If you do that check your HDD priorities and boot order before you attempt to install as it will likely restore defaults.
(Secure boot also prevents 'Unauthorised' installations, surely Win7 doesn't fall in that category!)

Solution

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

You are correct - you have to select "Legacy Boot" and then restart to apply the changes. It then fails to boot upon restart and going back into the setup utility shows Secure Boot as "Disabled."

Status
Not open for further replies.