I'm considering getting new motherboard; can I just use OS on my hard Drive?

daniel5111

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hi, um so the thing is that I am trying to get new motherboard, and I heard you HAVE to have new window OS drive for booting; can I just use the OS from my own hard drive and won't have any problem? I don't want to spend another $100 and more.

Also, the computer I have is store-bought computer, and I have the recovery disc from the store

Thank you in advance.

Botnus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
Whoever told you that you *need* a new OS for a new motherboard shouldn't be giving out advice on computers. The OS on your hard drive can be used with any motherboard. The only difference is that you may need to download and install the appropriate drivers for the motherboard for built-in features to work, such as built-in sound and video. If you are using a sound card or a video card, this is unnecessary.

If it's an OEM version, I would check firstly the license terms.

"The original OEM Windows licenses that ships with the PC is bound to that PC. So, if you buy a PC with an OEM Windows license, that OEM Windows license stays with that PC. If you sell the PC, you have sold the OEM Windows license with it. If you donate the PC, you donate the OEM Windows license with it. If you burn and destroy the PC, you burn and destroy the OEM Windows license with it," explained Eric Ligman, Microsoft US Senior Manager Small Business Community Engagement.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-The-Windows-OEM-License-Dies-with-Its-Computer-88220.shtml
and
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-374252/note-windows-oem-licensing-terms-have-changed/

Except for retail versions of Windows and all versions of windows 8, this information is catagorically incorrect. The license IS tied to the motherboard and replacement of the motherboard with another (outside of warranty replacement) does require a new license. Virtually all pre-builts use an OEM OS.

daniel5111

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

If then, do I have to buy the new OS for new motherboard? (I mean i have both recovery CD and licence # with me...) or does motherboards already have an OS pre-built?

As Alexoiu says check your license - it can be found through the manufacturer of your computer - if you cannot understand the license terms (quite understandable), e-mail the company support unit and ask, can't hurt.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Yes you can as long as the new motherboard is the same brand as the old motherboard. You will need to still update drivers if it is not identical model number, you also have to be aware if the new motherboard is actually a different chipset despite being the same emanufacturer.

For example, a Gigbytemother board could have Intel chipset or AMD chi0pset, these tow chipset manufacturers are not compatiblte with each other. If your old mboard is intel chipset and the new mboard is amd chipset, you will get Bsod to which you need to then do a clean & new install of the OS.

If you manage to get compatible chipsets then you have to make sure the new motherbard bios is set to the same settings as the previousmotherboard, you can't use AHCI mode if the olde bios was set to IDE mode.