Recomendations on setting up RAID

crispy345

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Hi!

I currently have 1x Samsung 830 drive, and 2x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ.
I have one of the 1TB's for my media (pictures, videos, music) and the rest for different software and such. Now, the problem is I'm running out of space, so yesterday on a hour-sale, I got two 2TB WD Red NAS drives (I know they are NAS, but they should still work?) Now, the problem is I am having a struggle to find out what setup I want to go with because; I want to at least double the storage capacity of the Media drive, but still have it backed up to another drive. The other for software and such I could want to be doubled, but it doesn't have to be backed up.

So what I thought of was actually still using the 1TB 103SJ for my media drive, but also adding the other 1TB to it linked with a RAID 0 array, which should makes it faster for video editing. Next, I want to use one of the 2TB's to backup the RAID 0 array, so if one of the 1TB's should fail, I still have data intergrity. And for the last drive, I want to make it my second drive, which will have my programs (not running from there) and such.

Now, is the write speeds of the WD Red's good? I seem to get 100++Mbps with either one of my 1TB's which have worked well for my video editing.

If you have any tips (as I'm quite new to this) I would really appreciate them.

Kristoffer

crispy345

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Thanks for the reply, sorry for not getting on here in the last day, Toms Hardware seems to give me a hard time logging in :heink:

Anyway, do you have any ways you would reccomend for moving the current files to while I make the RAID? (I suppose the Disk Management would RAID it nicely?)

And for the future, when I am getting a new rig, can I just move the array over to the new computer, or do I have to unRAID it, and then put it back again?

Thanks in advance.