first ever pc build, opinions and advice welcome. :)

Downgrade the motherboard to something more reasonable (AsRock Z77 Extreme4, GA-Z77X-D3H, P8Z77-V LK), the RAM to something not needlessly expensive (8GB of Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600Mhz CL9) and drop that water-cooler and replace it with a 212 EVO. Drop the sound card outright unless you have a very expensive audio setup to hook to it, on $50 headphones/speakers you wont notice a difference between it and integrated audio.
Use the saved cash to get a better GPU, thats what really matters on a gaming rig.

The case is arguably overkill, but I'm personally fine with that and the HAF-X is a good case (own one personally).

Its obvious you place value in peripherals with that Azio Mechanical keyboard, give some love the mouse as well :lol:. The Razer Deathadder is what I use and its a great mouse.

overkill in every aspect. threw it out for something better
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JEhU

-atx is more suitable if you want to do SLi, but if not, you could go back the maximus 4 gene
-fast ram is useless
-dont use cheapo watercooling
-you need a SSD
-way faster video card
-you dont need a sound card really
-650w isnt needed for single GPU
-if you want to run SLi in the future, i can suggest another power supply
-better keyboard
-less overkill case. dont bother with it if you arent watercooling or putting a xl-atx board
-much better mouse

overkill in every aspect. threw it out for something better
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JEhU

-atx is more suitable if you want to do SLi, but if not, you could go back the maximus 4 gene
-fast ram is useless
-dont use cheapo watercooling
-you need a SSD
-way faster video card
-you dont need a sound card really
-650w isnt needed for single GPU
-if you want to run SLi in the future, i can suggest another power supply
-better keyboard
-less overkill case. dont bother with it if you arent watercooling or putting a xl-atx board
-much better mouse

marzmega

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

I figured I over compensated somewhere, and placed value in the wrong parts. Its just from lack of experience. Im re configuring my part list. thanks alot.

Connor Smith

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Yeah ditch the sound card, get cheaper memory (I agree with the other guy corsair vengeance 8gig), get rid of the water cooler and honestly I don't have an after market CPU cooler and I have the same CPU as you and I've gotten away with it especially if you don't overclock, the case can be downgraded to anything really that supports standard sized atx boards, upgrade the mother board to a z77 even one with USB 3 as there are plenty of MOBOs in that price range, and give the GPU some love I'd go with the 660ti (I have it and it plays bf3 and arma 3 just fine on high to ultra) or a 670 or what ever higher end card ya want. Other than you should be good and I'm not sure but did you have a DVD drive? I might have missed it if not get a cheap one

Connor Smith

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

Don't get just an ssd drive especially if your only doing gaming really my config has a 128 gig ssd that I have windows on than a 750gig storage drive. Right now I don't think you get enough storage in ssds for the money. And with gaming you'll be downloading big game files so the space on the ssd is going to disappear quickly. So if you can get an ssd and a storage drive if not just get a big standard hard drive...that's just me though