RAM frequency capped

JimFlibble

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
So I've been having a problem with my PC freezing up for a few months, it crashes but doesnt give me a BSOD it just freezes and gives a looping sound, Recently i thought I had solved the issue by completely formatting and reinstalling my steam games and in the process i installed Speccy and I saw that my RAM frequency was at 100% at 600mhz. I went into BIOS and set the frequency to maximum allowed and when I rebooted the frequnecy had risen but was maxing out at 802.5 mhz

My specs are:

Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 Mobo
Intel Core i5 2500K
and I forget the brand of RAM but I know for a fact that the maximum Frequency is 1666ghz, and I have 4gb Installed. EDIT: Its DDR3 too

Im almost certain that this is whats causing my PC to freeze while playing games such as Borderlands 2, and my technical know how has reached its peak as far as this is concerned. If anyone could advise me I'd be very greatful, thanks, Jamie

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Well its probably dual channel (2 sticks)? So 800mhz a stick is 1600mhz, you should also check you have the right timings set in bios too they should be written on a sticker on the side of the ram and as well you should know your brand of ram to know is it compatible with your motherboard