Computer turns off immediately after switching on

MonsterTrain

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
So I turned my computer on this morning and it switched itself straight off again. I immediately thought it would be a psu issue but I did the old paper clip test and it seemed to be in full working order. I also tried switching on with the bare minimum connected (psu, mobo, cpu) and again no response. I'm quite stumped and annoyed as my rig is only about a month old.

My specs:
intel i5 3450 cpu
gigabyte z77-d3h motherboard
seagate barracude 1tb hard drive
antec vp550p psu
cooler master k380 case
8gb crucial ram

Thanks for your time

MonsterTrain

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

Yes I went through it but I've checked everything on there and none of it seems to make a difference

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Turn off the power point then cChange the power cord to a different power point, turn on the mains power switch, turn on the rocker switch at the back of the PSU and away you go!

Sometimes an overloaded powewrboard can cause the power point to which your PC is connected to no longer provide the adequate power.

Worth a try, anyhow.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
So you have tested your motherboard? And made sure there are no unused ports under it? Made sure the cpu fan is locked correctly and adequate thermal paste is under the cpu fan? You would be surprised how often these are over looked. Even a cable being behind the board or one shorting out components can be a culprit as can static electricity.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I meant that the posts you screw into the case that you sit the motherboard on and tighten down with a screw to hold the motherboard in place. Extra posts under the board without screws can cause problems and shortages. Hence why i asked if you made sure you did not have any unused ports under the motherboard i meant posts though :p

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I think he (zolton33) means the stand-offs, its a term that has only recently been coined, some of us oldies called them the brass screw thingies or posts, which are fixed holders in the back plate.