Sign in with
Your question

Shut down computer, changed power source from wall to powerstrip - now won't boot up! help!

Tags:
  • Western Digital
  • Computers
  • Boot
  • Power Source
  • Shutdown
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 14, 2013 11:20:22 AM

Disclaimer: I have gone through the no boot troubleshooting thread. ;) 

Hi all,

So, I built my first computer (specs below) about a month ago pretty much problem-free (thanks to the knowledge and help of you wonderful folks). The only problem would be that occasionally, when I would shut down the computer, it would fail to turn back on and I would have to open the case, tighten everything and then it would turn back on.

Now, last night, I was doing some cleaning and accidentally bumped the power cord and my computer shut off--it started back up and everything was fine. I then shut down the computer unplugged it from the wall and plugged it into a power strip (so the cord would be out of the way). After I did that, it will not turn on. So, I spent most of last night, making sure the connections were all good, tried the wall outlet again, and couldn't see any lights visible on the mother board, no fans would move, no beeps--essentially nothing would happen.

This morning when I woke up, I tried to give it one more shot--plugged it into the power source, flipped it to I and the Power LED light stayed on, but the computer wouldn't start--any reason why that might be?

My gut feeling is that PSU bricked when I shorted it or plugged it in the power strip. Especially, given the problems I had previously with it not booting after shutdown, that I may received a PSU in less than perfect condition...

I'm planning on buying a new power supply tomorrow to test it out--but if anything I've said gives you guys any indication that it might be not booting for another reason. PLEASE SAY SOMETHING! :) 

CPU: Intel Pentium G2120 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 ...
HD: Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 ...
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS ...
GFX: PowerColor AX7850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 7850 1GB
MOBO: MSI ZH77A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA ...
CASE: NZXT Source 210 Elite White Steel

More about : shut computer changed power source wall powerstrip boot

March 14, 2013 11:37:31 AM

Have you tried it again without the power strip? Could be not getting enough power from the power strip to run.
March 14, 2013 11:41:43 AM

zolton33 said:
Have you tried it again without the power strip? Could be not getting enough power from the power strip to run.

Yup, I tried plugging it back to the wall where it originally was, and same thing -- no boot.
Related resources
March 14, 2013 11:43:56 AM

Have you tried it without a mouse or keyboard plugged in? Believe it or not my pc would not turn on because of a problem with my keyboard so i bought a usb one and it worked perfectly. Worth a shot.
March 14, 2013 11:45:42 AM

zolton33 said:
Have you tried it without a mouse or keyboard plugged in? Believe it or not my pc would not turn on because of a problem with my keyboard so i bought a usb one and it worked perfectly. Worth a shot.

Yea, I tried turning it on with nothing connected to it except the power supply, and nothing would happen (lights, fans, beeps)
August 7, 2013 3:05:22 PM

try this...remove the battery from the mother board... wait 5 mins...re-install battery ... restart
!