Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Performance
  • RAM
  • CPUs
  • Compatibility
Last response: in CPUs
March 14, 2013 12:18:37 PM

Hi there. Ive got a laptop I'm thinking about upgrading to make it a little more reliable (as in at least slightly higher performance than your average laptop, and able to handle some high performance tasks;some light gaming included). I will admit that with classic mode on, the PC does surprisingly well, but it's not at a level of performance I'm comfortable with.

I've already ordered new ram for it. Right now it has 2 gigs, I'm upgrading to 8. It seems I'm lucky enough to have a laptop able to recognize all 8 gigs of ram, at least according to crucial.com.

What I'm wondering is whether or not I can upgrade my CPU, and if I can, what CPU's will be compatible with my system. If my laptop CPU is upgradable, I'd like to look up prices of compatible CPU's to see if I'm willing to make the investment or not.

Here are my specs:

Windows edition
Windows 7 Home Premium
Copyright @ 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Service Pack 1

System
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard (Compaq)
Model: Presario CQ57 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.30 GHZ
Installed memory: 2.00 GB (1.60 GB usable).....[Soon to be 8GB]
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
No pen and touch...

I'm also wondering if my laptop can hold a graphics card or GPU (same thing, I think), as it seems its currently handled by the CPU, and whether or not adding a graphics card would have much of an effect on performance. (Is the audio handled by the CPU too?)

Any helpful advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

More about : upgrade cpu

March 14, 2013 12:31:56 PM

I don't think you'd be able to upgrade your APU. APU is the combination of CPU and GPU onto one chip. There's no socket information on Wikipedia regarding AMD E series APU so they must be soldered to the motherboard. As an APU, you wouldn't be able to upgrade your graphics without upgrading the whole APU. That said AMD GPU's are generally pretty good, so light gaming should be ok.

I have an AMD C70 APU which turbos to 1.3GHz on AC power and I understand your frustration, its meant to be a on the go low powered device so its not particularly fast. 8GB RAM is a good upgrade but you would've been better saving up for a more power system if performance is what you're after.

Also Sound is handled by the CPU, but its not very demanding as far as I know. Feel free to ask anymore questions.
March 14, 2013 12:35:08 PM

So basically, it's pretty unlikely that I'll be able to upgrade it then. I'll check to see if it's soldered when I replace the RAM.
I do intend to build a system later but right now I was just wondering if I could cheaply improve the performance on this laptop. It was a gift (a going to college gift), so I can't really complain, even if the CPU does tend to get full and lock up sometimes. I figure upgrading the ram should help some, but 1.3ghz is a little low for a CPU. (granted, it is a laptop, and I'm used to a desktop)
Thanks for the info :) 

I was just wondering about the graphics because I thought a graphics card might take some strain off the CPU, if one could be installed, but I figured it was a long shot.

By the way (and I know this is a little off topic), those 8 gigs of ram cost me around 70 bucks. Did I get a good price?
March 14, 2013 12:43:44 PM

Sevas627 said:
By the way (and I know this is a little off topic), those 8 gigs of ram cost me around 70 bucks. Did I get a good price?

Sounds about right. I got my Transcend 8GB DDR3 SODIMM 1600MHZ for £27 on offer here which is about $40. And its about £40 otherwise so $70 is about right I'm guessing. Not sure on USD pricing.
March 14, 2013 12:52:58 PM

anthonyla65 said:
Sevas627 said:

Sounds about right. I got my Transcend 8GB DDR3 SODIMM 1600MHZ for £27 on offer here which is about $40. And its about £40 otherwise so $70 is about right I'm guessing. Not sure on USD pricing.

That's good to know. I didn't actually try to compare prices (rare for me) since the site actually scanned my PC for me and suggested the ram best suited to my computer (saving my possibly hours of research).
Thanks again :) 
March 14, 2013 1:20:23 PM

I did a little research, and yes, it's soldered. The socket is an Ft1 BGA 413 (BGA apparently meaning soldered), and even If I could find a way to replace it (maybe by removing the solder and re-soldering the new one?), there aren't really any significantly better CPUs that will fit the socket. The socket is apparently only for AMD soldered CPUs, and the highest one is 1.70 GHZ. (I'm assuming that .40 GHZ isn't a very radical difference, and probably wouldn't change my performance much, even if I could upgrade to it; I wouldn't have sprung for a new CPU unless I could have gotten at least a 2.4GHZ). Oh well, I guess that's that.

Thanks for the replies and info :) 
March 14, 2013 2:23:43 PM

Sevas627 said:
I did a little research, and yes, it's soldered. The socket is an Ft1 BGA 413 (BGA apparently meaning soldered), and even If I could find a way to replace it (maybe by removing the solder and re-soldering the new one?), there aren't really any significantly better CPUs that will fit the socket. The socket is apparently only for AMD soldered CPUs, and the highest one is 1.70 GHZ. (I'm assuming that .40 GHZ isn't a very radical difference, and probably wouldn't change my performance much, even if I could upgrade to it; I wouldn't have sprung for a new CPU unless I could have gotten at least a 2.4GHZ). Oh well, I guess that's that.

Thanks for the replies and info :) 

Yeah, you'll have problems trying to find people still these CPU's anyways as they are normally pre-soldered. And no problem, its my pleasure to help.
!