Or is it my Motherboard?

Nyphrodel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
I have a DELL Inspiron 530. It has run perfectly since the day I bought it. Of course, as soon as my warranty expired, it started acting up. I was having trouble with WINDOWS XP system32 files, so I figured it was time for a new OS. (At the time of purchase, VISTA was out and I didn't believe it was stable ). WINDOW 8 is the latest OS available but I haven't heard enough positives...on the other hand, WINDOWS 7 has been out long enough to become stable and my daughter is currently running a copy on her laptop with no troubles.

So I picked up a retail copy of WINDOWS 7, and the day I went to install, suddenly my system wouldn't boot. It would get to the DELL logo with the loading bar and stop halfway. I tried again and again to no avail. I tried SAFE MODE F8, SETUP F2 and BOOT OPTIONS F12-still nothing.

So I stewed for a few weeks, then turned it on again and it booted right up! I thought great! I'll put the new OS in and it'll be right as rain. I did and it was, for about a week. And now it won't boot again.

I would take it to someone for repair, but three different places would tell me three different things. I just don't trust any of these so-called "experts" when I continuously get different answers from each of them. (I've been ripped off in the past). I want to go in armed with a little knowledge. If they even think I'm not computer literate, who knows what BS they're going tell me. So does anyone have any idea what sort of problem I'm dealing with?

I just don't want to spend $2,000 - $3,000 on a new system that will be old hat the day I buy it. More and more, I'm thinking upgrading is the way to go. When I first bought this one, I put in a better video card and more memory. I have some invested in this one, I 'd like to keep it a little longer.

Can someone point me in the right direction or should I bite the bullet and buy new? (when I can afford it).

PLEASE HELP!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core2-2DDR2-800-5-1-CH-Motherboard/dp/B001RJO0CW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1363293271&sr=8-13&keywords=socket+775+ddr2+board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157337

One of these boards will work fine if you'd like to try changing out the board. You have a non dell windows coa, so you can choose whatever brand you like. But you may also have a weak power supply or bad ram stick. If you don't like troubleshooting, I'd go for a used system off craigslist if you can't afford new. Frys also has some amd systems for under $300 frequently if you live near one. Here's a youtube video on changing out a board: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7IPTHwsrwo

Nyphrodel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2013
First off oldie, I'd like to thank you for responding and taking the time to look up a few mobo's for me. The video is especially helpful, I have saved it for if or when the time comes. Apparantly, motherboards are a lot less expensive than I thought they would be. But, do you think that it is indeed my motherboard that is the problem? I really don't want to purchase a new one and replace it if it's not. But here is the way I see it; I assumed that power has to pass through the mobo to boot up. This is why I suspected the motherboard to begin with, if I am correct in my assumption. I thought that maybe it was hung up in there or something and it wouldn't boot up all the way because there was something wrong with it.

Now, I'm sure that anyone reading this can tell that I am light years away from being a pro, but I am trying so very hard to become more proficient and knowledgeable at this computer stuff. I got really tired of being ripped off when I would call for support or take something in for repair, only to find my problem was still there. I started to GOOGLE some of these things only to find out that I had been lied to so someone could make a buck off of me. So what I am asking is, In your opinion, do you think it is my Motherboard or CPU? If you would please kindly indulge me with a little bit more of your time, I would greatly appreciate it.