Memory Overclock/Voltage Starting Beep Errors and Occasional BSOD

BahamutZ

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I am trying to double my memory to 12gb. Here are my
specs from Cyberpower purchase couple years back that always worked fine:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (A-Data Gaming Series with Heat Spreader - These are 1.5v cards (9 9 9 24)
MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more)
POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 80 Plus Power Supply
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video

I bought 3 more 2gb DDR3/1600 MHz cards (A Data Series) that are also 9 9 9 24, but 1.55-1.75v. I didnt realize the voltage difference beforehand.

I initially installed the new ones next to the old all in the same color memory slots, which switch from old, new, old, new, old, new. When I did this I was able to get into the bios and windows to see that both were recognizing 12gb. Eventually it did crash, I dont recall what I was doing at the time. Now whenever, I start the computer I am getting looooong beep sounds everytime, and then it says "The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes in voltage."

I noticed that my system automatically put each channel timing at 7 7 7 20 and I believe it was set at 1.5V at 1033 Mhz. I don't know if this is because this is what it was set at before, but I assume so. I think it was (I should have checked beforehand or backed up the BIOS settings, but didnt).

Anyways, I started switching the timings to 9 9 9 24 as that is what it says on both cards, and I also bumped up the voltage to 1.56v to cover the 1.55v modules. However, this won't be even let me load windows without crashing.

I am obviously totally new at figuring out issues like this and don't really know what to do. I am thinking it might be related to the cpu overclock that I do have, that worked fine with the initial 3x2gb ram? I also noticed the System Memory multiplier was initially set at 12x, which went to 1800 something Mhz. This was over the memory unit speeds, but as I said I never altered that before and it was working out of of the box with it set like that (overclock settings I presume).

So I don't know. Maybe I just cant mix up different voltage cards?
Thanks for any insight. If you need more information just let me know, as I am not in front of that computer at the moment.

Mixing any memory kits, is almost never suggested, and when you do mix memory kits they must have identical settings.

The chances of you ruining either kit are fairly low, but if you want to make sure, run with 1 kit at a time, and make sure it is stable. it is possible you overvolted the original kit.

If you are still under the return period I would suggest returning the kit, and getting a better matching one.

TRENDING THREADS