Gateway Laptop question

patstormchaser123

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hello,

A teacher of mine gave me her computer to fix. Now the computer would not even turn on when she game it to me. It is a Gateway PA6A, it is a laptop. So I dismantle the computer down the motherboard, because the plug was not working. So I checked and the plug was indeed very lose. So I re-soldered it and reassembled it, but before I did that I used a multimeter and tested to see that it was fully running the voltage it needed to operate. When I got it back together it was turning on but whenever I moved the power cable on the back just the smallest move would make the computer die. If I was lucky the battery would have charged enough to keep it online. A few more specs on the computer it is running Windows XP home edition. Now the plug was not lose at all either when it was fully installed. Now I am down to possibly replacing the motherboard instead of constantly troubleshooting it and failing. So I found a few on Ebay that I am contemplating buying. But here is the problem, I want to go cheap and get parts for as low as I can. A fully tested board for this computer goes for about $130. I found one thought that was (As Is and not tested) and it was $29.99 So I was wondering if that would be a better decision to go with the cheaper one! I really need others advice, the person need s the computer back quickly too, so my decision needs to be made quickly.

Thanks,
Patrick

robohazard

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
what did you do to solder the power jack back onto the motherboard? I just did this with a gateway motherboard. I used this as a guide when doing it.
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2008/10/28/fortify-damaged-power-jack-connection-in-laptop/

I had to make a modification to the jack for it to work.

TRENDING THREADS