Will a back-up restore ALL my files?

Crazy Steeve

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I have been having this issue with something deep in my system that causes all my game to have choppy camera movements. I have searched for hours and have posted multiple threads here asking for help, but got no fix. So im restoring to reinstalling Windows 7 and using a back up to get all my stuff back. but im amusing I will lose my game save files.

person with same problem: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/386689-33-choppy-mouse-games#10500908

mine: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/127560-13-stutter-mouse-movement-games

I want to use a back up but I don't know if it will restore everything like all my programs and games that I have on steam and what not. Im using a 1TB seagate external hard drive, and the back up is smaller than my everything on my actual HD. Will I have to reinstall everything because I have alot of torrented programs that I need. Plus I had alot of other problem with my HD a while ago but I fixed them. One more thing is, can I repair Windows 7 without having to do a restore.
I know this is a noob question and I'm a computer wiz, but I just need to be sure.

ALSO will a restore give me the same problems I have been having, im 99% sure my problem is not cause by hardware or game, and im leaning towards something wrong with win7/files.

If by backup you mean a cloned image of your system drive partition(?), It's an exact copy of your OS with personal files and settings, including the performance conditions it had the date you created the backup... meaning that the problems that came afterwards will not be included, but you have to install the backup on a separete Hard Drive as cloned images cloned for example from partition C and installed on D would be linked to C and could suffer from the same problems by contamination because the registry value paths from C will point to C even when installed on D.
So, check the date of your backup creation. Restoring it will set things as they were on that date, and everything you've added, done, recorded or created since the date of creation including problems, will be lost. But you have more than this single option... you can restore the backup differently see suggestions next:

1. You can install the backup in another drive... a second hard drive installed single on the computer would be preferable so there is no connection to the damaged Windows you have now.
2. You can create a new user account in the Windows installation... some hard to solve problems are caused by a corrupted user profile so a new account is the most practical solution.
3. You can create a new backup (cloned image) of your Windows as it is, next format the drive and do a clean installation, later restore the backup on a second partition (or second hard drive), and recover all your files and games including saved game files, from the installed backup,.. and recover your applications (one at a time) with Application Mover.
4. You can also try cleaning your Windows disabling startup programs, cleaning temp files, deleting prefetch files, old settings, log files, etc. follow the next suggestions and see the difference.. if you don't notice any improvement test/replace your Power Supply, a choppy screen can be caused by a weak PSU, bad RAM, failing Hard Drive or something using up high system resources, so also check the Taskmanager and see if any process is using high CPU %, High Memory Usage or both. You can also repair your Windows 7 depending on the Win 7 Edition... (see details and instructions here) with the Upgrade option, initiating the repair from Windows and rebooting for the repair installation to begin.

a. To start disable startup programs: Start \ Run or Search bar \ type "msconfig" (no quotes) and press Enter, Click on the Startup tab and uncheck all processes except for the Antivirus process. Next click on the Services tab and check "Hide all Microsoft Services" and uncheck any service related to the application you unchecked in Startup... Next press Apply and OK.

More detailed information here:
How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

b. In the Run command or search bar type "%temp%" and later "temp" deleeting every temporal file you find in those folders.

c. Install Ccleaner to clean the system from temporal files, old or unnecessary settings, residual log files, etc. This application can be used to perform #1 and 2 suggestions except for disabling the unecessary Services.

d. Install Tune Up Utilities 30 day free trial. And use it to clean the Windows registry, and fine tune the system.

e. Install Ultimate Windows Tweaker to apply settings that improve system performance, network

Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2.2
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Ultimat...

f. Install Malwarebytes Antimalware to search for possible malware that can cause system damage and slow it down or act funny.

g. Update your antivirus and perform a complete system scan.

h. Run HijackThis to disable any unwanted process that may remain active..