RAID 5 configuration with OS

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Hi guys,

I have a server with 5 2tb drives in RAID 5. If I put windows server 2012 on the RAID array, windows only shows 2TB's.

I've heard its a windows limitation but I heard that you can get around this?

Please advise.
Thanks.

ksrossmoor

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I'm trying the same thing right now with 4 2 TB Drives. It sounds like your running intot he same thing as me. My best guess at the moment is it's a bios setting and you need to use a UEFI Driver to set it up. I just tried diskpart in the EFI Install, to copnvert my MBR Disks to GPT, but it didn't work. If you want to follow what I'm doing you can find it here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1629745/bios-settings-sabertooth-990fx-setup-raid.html#10529583

Maybe one of our questions will solve this for both of us. What are your specs?

ksrossmoor

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I figured this out, an think my problem can answer this in better detail. I don't know what MOBO and BIOS you have, but I had t set the RAID in the bios using the Legacy ROM. I could then create the RAID, reboot again, get back into the BIOS. Enable the UEFI Driver for my RAID, bounce again, then during my install I had to load the RIAD driver, Shift + F10 and use diskpart.

I had to clean each driver, then convert to GPT. The trick is the UEFI Driver in the bios. Without it, you'll be stuck at 2 TB no matter what.

I never found anything to descriptive about the UEFI driver since a lot of new BIOS are UEFI, but that doesn't seem to get as granular as using the "UEFI Driver".

Hope this makes sense.

What are your specs?