Netgear Router Troubles

sumlit

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Hello everyone, hope someone can help me.

I've had this problem for a while, but I've been to lazy to seek help because there is an immediate, if annoying, temporary solution to it. However I am growing tired of people coming over to my house and complaining about it.

So anyway, I have a Netgear N Router WNR2000. I have 3 computers connected to it. One, the main one, is connected via cable. The other 2, one a desktop using a Netgear external device, and the other a laptop, are both using wireless.
All these 3 devices work perfectly.

The problem comes from other devices. My PS3, IPhones, and my Samsung Smart TV.
The problem is that these devices connect to the network perfectly, however after 1 or 2 days, they remain connected, but there is no connectivity. They show as being connected fine to the wireless network, but there is no internet access.

I can solve this by merely resetting the Router and all the devices connect again without a problem. However, after 1 or 2 days the cycle repeats itself.

Same happens with anyone else who comes over and asks to connect their phone to the wireless network, i have to go into the router room and reset the router in order for them to connect.

If anyone has any idea what is happening and how i can fix it, any help would be very appreciated.

sumlit

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Thank you for the response.

I have updated the router firmware and waited a day to see if the problem repeated itself.

The problem still persists after the update. Got any other suggestions?

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Try to check your router settings under wireless there might be a timeout connection... Im just guessing and I really doubt Im even close to that being a solution but give it a try.

sumlit

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Thank you for the response

I don't see a timeout setting anywhere. I looked in Basic Wireless Settings, and in Advanced Wireless settings. There is not even an option for a timeout.

Any other suggestions?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
This tends to be a DHCP problem but I have seen other people report this and the problem persists even with fixed IP address.

Its worth a try though I guess. You can try to set the DHCP timeout options in the router for a longer time. I would set it to a couple of weeks unless you have lots of guests over.
The other method is to go into each device and assign the IP address/subnet mask/gateway/dns server all manually. This should ensure the device never drops its ip.

If it still has issues then I would be suspecting a unpatched bug in the router. Could by anything from improper arp timeouts to firewall issues, unfortunately consumer routers do not have much diagnostic options to find problems.

static1120

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Like the person above said Setting a static Ip to the devices might fix the issue... but since you say the devices are still connected that means they have a Ip assigned to them. next step would be to try a static ip on the devices