Lowering computer temp

AcuteAnthrax

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I'm on an insanely small budget right now and my computer has decided to start crashing during gaming. I checked the temp and everything is sitting at about 40-50 degrees (Celsius) but the GPU idles at like 70 and goes up to 90-100+ while gaming. Sometimes I can game for a few hours before it finally crashes from getting too hot so I'm wondering if I was to get a new fan or 2 if it would lower the temp just enough to keep me going without problems. I have a stock PC from about 4 years ago, I think it has 1 fan in the back, on the side and a tiny little one on the GPU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The first thing I'd suggest is to remove the card and blow out any dust that may be clogging the cooler/fan. Same for the rest of the PC. If you don't have access to an air compressor, use a can of compressed air. Try gaming with the side of the PC removed for a test. See if temps drop some. If you want a more detailed set of suggestions, please let us know more specs about your system. Or post a pic.

AcuteAnthrax

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

I had originally cleaned out all the dust with a compressed air, I did a full reformat of my computer just to give myself a clean start in case it was anything driver related as it needed one anyways. It started to get worse, I can't even keep the computer on for more than a few minutes now without it crashing completely or rebooting, although the GPU isn't getting warmer than it's usual idle temp so I'm assuming it's caused my power supply to get faulty?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It could be the PSU. But it could be a number of other things, too. If you originally suspected the gfx card, remove it and run with the on-board video (if available) to see if it is indeed the card causing the issue. Another thought would be to boot to memtest and run at least one full pass on your memory. Ideally, you'd want to do each stick individually. But for now leave them all in and run memtest to see if it is a bad memory stick.
http://www.memtest86.com/
If the problem is MB related it will be harder to track down. Boot to BIOS and let it run for the length of time it would normally crash. If the problem is the board or PSU, it should crash in BIOS too... or in safe mode even.

Unless you have another PSU to test with, it will be hard to be sure that is the problem. But that would be the best way to decide if it is indeed the PSU.

AcuteAnthrax

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

Thanks a lot for the options, I will get to them when I find the time :)