router issue can't connect with only one device

sssank

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm here to propose my problem, for sure you are more competent than me.
My router is a TP LINK model tl-wr1043nd.

This router has no limit for the number of ip connected.
Everyone here (I don't live alone, we're in 5 and with 2 devices connected each) can connect to the internet without problem, also I can connect with my smartphone, no problems ever.

But with my personal computer (win7, asus n55sf) I can't connect.
Most of the time I try to stabilish a connection it can't connect to the router (not only it can't reach internet), sometimes, with a frequency of 1-2 days a week, it connect but connection stops after 5-10 minutes.

With my personal computer I never had any problem with connection, I use it everyday at work, sometimes at the library, sometimes with other hotspots.
Only my router has problems with my laptop.

What can I do?

I tried to assign a static ip (I thought there were problems with ip assignment), nothing changed.
I tried to disconnect my smartphone and connect my laptop with previous device ip, nothing changed.
I tried to visit router's configuration page, nothing wrong blocking my laptop.
I tried to reinstall drivers of my wifi device, nothing changed.

What can I do?
I'm going mad with this.

Thank you everyone, every hypothesis will be accepted :)

Please don't say me "change your fucking router", I will live here only for two mounths, my housemates will not be so happy with this :)

jungle71

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
1 wrong section
2 is it wireless or wired connection to your router?
3 have you tried changing the channel frequency? make sure it is not interfering with neighbours one if you are using wireless
4 update your drivers on your computer?

leftbrainfemale

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
I also have a TP LINK router (wr-3220) but it sounds like you're dealing with the same thing I have been.
I've read every thread I could find and tried every "solution" out there for about the last four months or so. My own situation will, of course, involve different computers/mobile devices/router, etc. than any of you, but the one similarity I have noticed is that we all seem to have only one or two computers that get randomly dropped from our network while everything else works great.

For me, I actually collected every device we have in our house that connects to the network, identified each MAC address, and set up MAC filtering. I also set up ip address reservations for all, and set each device to static. Overkill? Maybe.

But I persevered, as I am a work from home gal, and MY computer, the only one that actually earns its keep, was the one that would disconnect every time the kids or dad came home. I couldn't stay connected on the weekends without bumping them off.

So, one at a time, we tried things. Finally narrowed it down to three devices causing problems. My daughter's Galaxy Media Player, hubby's Galaxy Note, and hubby's Toshiba Thrive tablet. (Meantime, two Kindles, an iPad an iPhone & a Roku box cause no problem!)

Once I figured out how to set the Galaxies both to static ip under their settings, they stopped causing a problem. The Thrive Tablet, however, is another story. It will not hold it's Static IP setting, and so everytime hubby left home and came back, it would have to be reset or it immediately took over the network from my laptop. I have researched this issue with the Thrive ad nauseum, to the point that I decided that perhaps I needed to let the ip address reservations go and ditch the static ips. I mean, you can, sometimes, have too much of a good thing!

Bottom line, with the MAC filtering set, I'm not having any problem except with the Toshiba Thrive. Which, at this point, I think we'll sell and replace with an ipad!

Here is the thing, if you haven't checked out all the devices that attach to your network, you might want to do so. We're shockingly well endowed with wifi suckers at our house - four people, 12 devices on we we're all home, and two more sporadically when my parents come for a visit. We live out in the sticks, have an unsecured network 'cuz no one lives close enough to pick up our signal, but that also cut out a lot of the potential interferences for my troubleshooting. So do yourself a favor and take everything else off line, see if your problematic connection clears up. If it does, reconnect one device at a time to see if you have a conflict between devices!