GTX 660 ti and PSU Upgrade

kbilly70

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
This is my first time posting here so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I recently purchased a EVGA Geforce GTX 660 ti as an upgrade for my Dell XPS 8300 and need advice on upgrading the power supply. My computer has a 460W power supply and the recommended power supply for the 660 ti is a minimum of 450W. I have been reading a number of threads on these forums that seem to have conflicting information. Some state that the power supply needs to upgraded while others state the Dell 460W power supply is fine because of conservative estimates.

I installed the card and it seems to be running fine - temperatures are 60-70 degrees when running games. However, I do worry that I may burn up something if I don't upgrade as it's so close to the recommended minimum.

Also, I was wondering about the 2 6-pin connectors needed to run the 660 ti. The Dell power supply has power cord that ends in a 6-pin connector. About 1 inch before the end of the cord, a second connector comes out of the cord. Is this sufficient to power the card or does it need two separate cords to properly power the card? It is obviously getting power but I have never done anything with power supplies or upgrading and while I have tried to read up on it, it's not that clear to me.

If I do need to upgrade, I have been looking at this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Or would going with a modular power supply be better for my Dell case?

Thanks you.

GamerHell

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
My personal suggestion is to replace the PSU. The one you list is a great option.

The PSU"s that cone in most pre-fab OEM systems list their power rating higher than what the PSU will really give you under load. having a good PSU with clean rails with keep your video card running with the correct amount of power and less noise in the line.

kbilly70

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Thank you for the response! I'm ordering the psu now.

GamerHell

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

No problem. I just bought a MSi 660ti this week. It can be a power hog!