amd phenom ii 965 be and Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3+ or go intel?

G

my current plan was to go intel, i5-3470, ASRock H77M LGA1155 mobo, but i have the chance to get the phenom ii 965 and gigabyte ga-890gpa-ud3h am3+ modo for way cheaper. my build is primarily gaming oriented and the amd seems like a decent chip but it's gettin old. any thoughts on this? i was finally set on my build then i came across this :( thanks in advance for the help

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hello Wildcat2015,

From personal experience, I must say Intel is currently the best solution for high-end PC gaming. I noticed a 15-25% FPS improvement when I changed from my Phenom II x4 945 (@3.0Ghz) to a i5 2500k while using the same graphics card (MSI 6850 1GB).

Hope this information helps.

Warmest Regards,

Coffee~

G

the only reason i'm tempted to go with this slight downgrade is that what i want to get is $270 while this combo is only $100. idk, i'm just indecisive haha

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

Wow, $100? Certainly something to consider. What are the specs for the two motherboards?? Can you provide a link?

Coffee~

G

this is the asrock i am planning on getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303

this is the gigabyte that i can get with the phenom ii 965be:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435

i know the amd cpu and mobo is less powerful/older, but for the price it's hard to go wrong. that would give me more money to pump into a graphics card and maybe upgrade from a 7850

G

the more i think about it the more i realize i should definitely take the deal. any suggestions on a different graphics card? now i'm thinking 7950 since 7850 to 7870 is negligible. or perhaps 2 crossfired cards? 7770's? i'm back to square 1 now

G

great call, looks like the card for me.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024
this will be compatible with the motherboard correct? i'm buying the mobo and cpu tomorrow and i'd hate to find out after the fact that there are compatibility issues.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I agree with the previous post, you should jump on the AMD CPU deal if that's that cheap. However, do keep in mind that it will bottleneck a 7850 [Let alone a 7870]. I've had a Phenom II x4 945 for about a year w/ a 6850. When i switched to a i5 2500k, I noticed a significant (15-25%) FPS improvement as well as reduced micro-stutters. While the i5 is more expensive, it's more "futureproof" in the sense that it will prolong the system's life.

Warmest Regards,

Coffee~

G

hmm.....ok, with the savings i was going to jump to a 7870xt/le which i assume would get really bottlenecked....any moderately priced amd processor upgrades that won't bottleneck the 7870xt/le? thanks for the info so far too

G

looking for a cpu, not a graphics card, already have that picked out

G

you just joined today, trying to get your post count up, not on this thread please. if you read what i had written you would see i'm going amd with this build and a 3570k is clearly not amd is it?

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

That's the thing.... AMD doesn't have anything that won't bottleneck top tier GPUs. Unless you overclock them to such a degree that isn't worth the time nor effort unless your a enthusiast overclocker. I've always believed in AMD and I'm saddened they're outclassed by Intel in the "high-performance" end for gaming. Sadly, an Intel i3 has better gaming performance than many Phenom II x4s. I'll look for the benchmark chart on toms. I will edit this post and post the link once I find it.

Warmest Regards,

Coffee~

Edit: Here is a chart. It's a tad dated.. but it clearly shows how much AMD processors bottleneck graphics. They used the same graphics card for each setup.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/X/N/323915/original/Skyrim.png

G

hmmm....my idea is to grab this combo for now, just to be able to run something. once i get the 7870xt/le and everything else (and some more hours at work) i might just switch over to intel. the problem now is budget, even for 175ish i've found it tough to find a good intel mobo and processor combo for gaming. any insight into such a combo, i don't want to go over 200, the cheaper the better

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

I was going to suggest that but.... I hope you'll recycle the AMD CPU/Mobo when you get your Intel stuff.... nothing worse than having old hardware lying around doing nothing when it could be put to better use ; )

Coffee~

PS: By recycle, I mean handing it down or building a secondary gaming or HTPC out of it.
PSS: I'd recommend a i3-3220 Intel CPU and BIOSTAR H61MGC Mobo if you trying for under $200.

i3-3220 [$129.99 + Free Shipping] [$15 off w/ promo code EMCXTWS22, ends 3/20]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775

MSI H61M-E33/W8 [$52.99 + $3.99 Shipping]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130656

It's not a great motherboard but it will run fine..... You'll still be able to play all your game.

G

maybe i'll just wait for piledriver and stick with amd. idk but thanks for all the info coffee

logainofhades

Titan

FX6300/8350 are Piledriver but called Vishera. I believe Piledriver is the server chip name and Vishera the desktop. They are good chips. An i3 won't out perform an FX 6300 or 8350 in many modern games. Older games that don't take advantage of cores, the i3 would shine.

this with hd 7970 tells us a some different story

Average.png

G

i just bought the cpu and mobo today, in a couple months i'm going to switch to an i5 2570k and a z77 board and overclock away, but for now this will do just fine. the guy i bought it from was able to run bf3 on high at around 60 fps with this combo and a 7770 so this coupled with a 7870 will be more than enough. thanks for all the input guys

logainofhades

Titan

FX can be overclocked easily, i3 cannot. That closes the gap and probably puts the FX ahead. Going forward, I think the higher core count of the FX chips > i3 if Crysis 3 is any indication. Also AM3+ will get Steamroller and 1155 is effectively dead since Haswell will be a new socket and will be out in June. I suspect Steamroller will be quite competitive, if not faster than Ivy based chips. Steamroller drop in upgrade would be cheaper than buying a new Intel cpu and board.

Crysis3-CPU.png