Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core i5 3570K vs a Intel core i7 3820 in gaming

Last response: in CPUs
March 15, 2013 8:12:45 AM

either way they will both be extream over clocked 20% or more so i just really need help with deciding the CPU. i do not video render or make models or anything of the sort, just purely playing video games and watching you tube videos.
a b 4 Gaming
a b å Intel
a c 188 à CPUs
March 15, 2013 8:20:37 AM

OK in the battle between the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K and the Intel Core i7-3820 there are really two differences between them. The Intel Core i7-3820 has hyper-threading and supports quad channel memory. Now since very few games will use the hyper-threading and I dont know of a single game that use the quad channel memory there does not seem to be a lot of difference between on in a gaming environment. So save yourself the money and put into an SSD or a better video card.
March 15, 2013 8:49:16 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
OK in the battle between the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K and the Intel Core i7-3820 there are really two differences between them. The Intel Core i7-3820 has hyper-threading and supports quad channel memory. Now since very few games will use the hyper-threading and I dont know of a single game that use the quad channel memory there does not seem to be a lot of difference between on in a gaming environment. So save yourself the money and put into an SSD or a better video card.

I have the hd 7970 and i have decided i don't want faster booting with a ssd, just 2 tb. anything ells you would like to add?

Related resources
March 16, 2013 6:59:27 AM

No difference in gaming apart from VERY high end games. 99% of games should be no different.
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2013 9:04:04 PM

It's not just a "fast boot" you get from an SSD. But way faster EVERYTHING. Think about it. Everytime you do anything your accessing your disk. Wouldn't you like that everytime you accessed your disk that it would be 10x faster. A cheap CPU with an SSD is a lot faster than an expensive CPU with an HDD. If you don't get an SSD your missing out big time. I dont see how someone can just decide you don't want your PC to be lightening fast unless it's for good reason(the only reason being lack of cash) and you can get a 64Gb boot drive for 50 bucks.
March 18, 2013 12:58:55 PM

ericjohn004 said:
It's not just a "fast boot" you get from an SSD. But way faster EVERYTHING. Think about it. Everytime you do anything your accessing your disk. Wouldn't you like that everytime you accessed your disk that it would be 10x faster. A cheap CPU with an SSD is a lot faster than an expensive CPU with an HDD. If you don't get an SSD your missing out big time. I dont see how someone can just decide you don't want your PC to be lightening fast unless it's for good reason(the only reason being lack of cash) and you can get a 64Gb boot drive for 50 bucks.

~~UPDATED BRO :) )~~~

CPU: i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155

CASE FAN: Maximum Enermax 120MM Case Cooling Fans

FAN: Thermaltake Frio OCK CPU Cooler

HDD: 2TB ) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

HDD2: 128GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 350 MB/s Write

MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws X

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, XFast Technologies, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2x PCIe x1 & 2 PC

(overclocking in the future for sure)

POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2013 9:12:12 PM

Now that's a lot better. If you want some advice on which SSD to choose I can help you out. For the money, you can't beat the Samsung 840 as far as raw speed goes. For a 120GB you can get them for 89.99 sometimes. Also for a 120GB SSD you can get a Kingston HyperX 3k. They are only 99.99 right now and they are really fast too but the Samsung 840 is faster. The only difference is the HyperX has a little longer lasting nand. But both of them will last 5+ years, so I've read.

If you want a 240 or 250GB you can get both of those SSD's for 179.99.

If you just want the fastest for the best price, go with the OCZ Vertex 4. I think you can get them for 119.99.

If you want the absolute best, then get the Samsung 840 pro 128GB or 256GB. They cost around 149.99 and 249.99 though sometimes you can get them for cheaper.

BTW, what I do, is I put my OS and all my favorite programs on my 120GB SSD and I make an image of everything on this SSD and put it on a partition on my second hard drive. I never install anything more on this SSD as if I have to reinstall it won't be there. So if I ever get corruption or I have to reinstall my OS, everything will stay the same because I can keep all my other games and programs on my 2nd hard drive intact and all my original OS and programs from my partition will automatically be recovered. This way I don't have to re download anything. I can reinstall windows all I want and nothing will change. It's the perfect setup.

Plus you'll want your OS and main programs on a straight up SSD because if you put your OS on the HDD+SSD cache, you'll still experience the HDD's 17ms latencie vs. an SSD's 1ms. This is what makes SSD's so fast is the time it takes to access the disk.

It's better all around to have your OS on an SSD almost by itself besides some reliable uncorrupted programs. As if you do this your OS won't get corrupted by anything downloaded to it from the internet or USB drive. This is what I've heard from a few people and it makes a lot of sense.
June 19, 2013 3:08:49 AM

ericjohn004 said:

The problem is with what you stated "64gb". A 64gb SSD will only hold windows, and maybe one or two games. So every other game or application you have, will run off of the HDD thus negating the effectiveness of the SSD for a gamer. Which means no faster improvement, at all. The only thing SSD's do at the moment is improve boot times, but if you want fast booting, just get windows 8..it boots in 3 seconds on my pc with a HDD... why spend £80+ on an SSD when you could put that money towards a better Graphics Card, or better Processor.. if you have money to burn then go ahead but you end up buying a HDD anyway.. i am personally waiting until SSD's have reasonable data storage ie. 1tb because 128gb is worthless imo
!