Plextor's NGFF SSD to Deliver Speeds of Up To 700 MB/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]excella1221[/nom]Ah, Plextor.Not so much recognized like Samsung, OCZ, Crucial etc, but very solid quality.[/citation]

They were recognized at one point for their CD & DVD burners respecitively, but they sat on their laurels and other companies surpassed them, one being LG.

ssd_pro

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
This does look interesting. I like seeing Plextor getting some good exposure. My favorite components usually come from Intel, EVGA, OCZ, and Plextor.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Anyone with indepth information know that if they could sacrifice IOP's for capacity to reduce price or if reducing IOPs would not drop the price substantially enough. Please disregard the fact IOPs are the reason for SSD's.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
yea plextor made some pretty good external dvd burner solutions.. it still works although i dont use it any more .. I have yet to try any of there ssd solutions though. having tried both patriot and ocz .. im always leary of driver bugs .. lol i had my fair share of them with ocz and none at all with patriot to bad they stopped making them.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]512mb ddr3 ? why not 1024mb? if that get 700mb/s its overkill for 512mb cache (1333mhz with 64bit bus) maybe 4.000mb/s transfers i dunno[/citation]

Cache Size != Write speed

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Cy-Kill[/nom]They were recognized at one point for their CD & DVD burners respecitively, but they sat on their laurels and other companies surpassed them, one being LG.[/citation]
Plextor optical drives are actually manufactured by Lite-On. Very few companies make CD/DVD drives anymore due to the low cost and negligible profit margins.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Wow. Not so long ago I used to think the SATA 3 interface speed was overkill...[/citation]

i wanted it done yesterday, even though i just thought of it right now!
anything short of that is not over kill

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Max Collodi[/nom]Plextor optical drives are actually manufactured by Lite-On. Very few companies make CD/DVD drives anymore due to the low cost and negligible profit margins.[/citation]

Now they are, but what I was mentioning was when they made the drives themselves!

[citation][nom]Cy-Kill[/nom]Now they are, but what I was mentioning was when they made the drives themselves![/citation]
Yep a few years ago they where about the best you could get for CD/DVD burners.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Most SSD's today can hit 700MB/s or faster if they were not limited by the sata port.

The reason why you see the speeds of most SSD's topping out at 550-560MB/s is the sata port bottlenecking.

If you get rid of the sata interface and replace it with a direct pci-e interface, you will get faster speeds. In the case of pci-e x2, you get 1000MB/s which will effectively be lower when you consider the management overhead just like with sata III offering 600MB/s but in the real world, you get about 550MB/s

[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]Most SSD's today can hit 700MB/s or faster if they were not limited by the sata port.The reason why you see the speeds of most SSD's topping out at 550-560MB/s is the sata port bottlenecking.If you get rid of the sata interface and replace it with a direct pci-e interface, you will get faster speeds. In the case of pci-e x2, you get 1000MB/s which will effectively be lower when you consider the management overhead just like with sata III offering 600MB/s but in the real world, you get about 550MB/s[/citation]

PCIe 2.0 x2 (although x2 is kinda weird for PCIe and PCIe 3.0 x1 or PCIe 1.0 x4 would be used much more often) can get you very close to 1GB/s and SATA3's failure to reach 600MB/s isn't because of any "management" for it, at least not directly. We could make a set of SATA 6Gb/s hardware/software that can reach effectively 600MB/s (not that 550MB/s isn't already pretty close, it is, after all, less than 10% lower) if we wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.