Gigabyte Z77M-D3H can't access BIOS

Hi all,

This is my first post to the forum and I wonder if someone can help please.

I've just built a new PC with this board but cannot access the BIOS. Initially I thought it was the board but now I'm not sure. I first tried to make it work 2 weeks ago and connected up my DVD drives and hard disk which still had an old copy of Windows XP on it. In retrospect I think this was a mistake as it tried to boot into Windows and then crashed - presumably because the chipset on the old board was different. I then tried to access the BIOS to tell it to boot from CD, but whenever I pressed <delete> at POST the system would hang. I tried resetting the CMOS several times, and all that happened was the PC would start, then stop for about 5 seconds, then restart, and freeze just after displaying the Gigabyte logo, regardless of whether I tried to access BIOS or not. I finally decided that either I had bricked the board, or it was faulty and returned it for a replacement which arrived yesterday.

I decided this time to try and access the BIOS before connecting any hard disks as I wanted to check it would work (though I'm now going to install Windows on a new hard drive). Once again though, I can't get in. If I let it POST, it gives me an error saying it can't find a bootable media (as you'd expect), though if I insert the Windows installation disc it starts the Windows installer. However, when I try to access the BIOS the system freezes with a black screen immediately after displaying the Gigabyte logo. All I have connected is the CPU and fan (Intel i3220) 1 stick of Crucial DDR3 4Gb RAM which I checked on their website was compatible with this board, and 2 SATA CD drives. I've tried using a PS/2 keyboard and a USB one, and nothing changed.

I've not yet tried resetting the CMOS, but can't see that would make any difference as the board is brand new out of the box and you'd expect it to work with the BIOS it ships with.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
5 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte z77m d3h access bios
  1. Hi, How do you connect the monitor (HDMI, DVI)?
  2. alexoiu said:
    Hi, How do you connect the monitor (HDMI, DVI)?

It's connected with DVI. I did once get it into the BIOS when I was struggling with the first board, but no change of it with the replacement. I've also tried using the other function keys to access the system information and boot sequence, but again it freezes
  3. There are similar threads. It might be a BIOS issue. Try disconnecting all USB devices (including mouse) but keyboard. See if still the same.
  4. alexoiu said:
    There are similar threads. It might be a BIOS issue. Try disconnecting all USB devices (including mouse) but keyboard. See if still the same.

I've tried that, and tried changing to a PS/2 keyboard, but no joy. I had a look through the forum but couldn't find anything that got me any further.

Cheers
Ask a new question

Read More

BIOS Gigabyte Motherboards