Overclocking an E5200

SearchEngine

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Hi there i wan't overclock my CPU but i don't know how.Can you explain to me step by step how to do this?My specs:

2 GB RAM
Asus P5Q Motherboard
Asus 4670 512MB DDR3
320GB HDD

In case you were wondering what was edited , it was just a few grammer fixes as I was testing out the new forum options for Moderators , nothing serious.

As far as you post goes since you are new to the forums if you want to attract more answers to your post then you should check off the "ASK the Community" box when making your post. Currently it's set as a discussion and may not attract those that would have a better answer and it will attract those that want to participate in a discussion. You may be able to change it by doing an edit of your post.

For your question about overclocking with a cpu that is not unlocked you can do some overclocking by going into the bios and increasing the FSB (front side bus). You can do a small increase of the FSB and see what increase in the cpu results, any overclocking is done in small steps to verify what your doing will result in a stable increase of the cpu speed.
There are a lot of stickies at the top of the forum that have a lot of information on overclocking and while you may not see one that applies to your specific cpu the overclocking principles are still basicly the same , small steps and cooling. Heat is the enemy of all cpus and the more you increas clock speed the more heat it produces so you do want a good cpu cooler to start with.

As I had stated in the other post I made you do things in small steps , because you want to end up with a stable Operating System that is trouble free. So each overclock is different and individual , you want to increase the Bclk(fsb) enough to changer the cpu clock speed. Say your clock speed is 3.1ghz then change the Bclk to where it males the clock speed 3.5ghz and run Windows to see if it's stable then run a stress test to also see if it's stable and check your temps. If everything is ok then try for a higher clock like 3.8 or 3.9 and go through the same verifications.
To do a good stable overclock it's going to be a slow tedious process and you can't get there fast and you shouldn't want to because you want to protect your hardware so slow steps is the best way to do it.