What is a normal temperature for a XFX Radeon 7870 while playing games?

PwnageEngage

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hey guys,

I was playing GW2 and noticed in the Catalyst Vision Center that my GPU was at 84C, but once i alt tabbed out of GW2 it would quickly drop to about 60C.

First of all, is it even possible to drop so much heat in a few seconds? And secondly, is 80C+ a normal temperature when playing GPU heavy games for my card?

Thanks!

Also: I have the computer in a well ventilated place. The side has designed holes for air flow or w/e. So its as ventilated as its gonna get w/o having to purchase some sort of market cooler.

clueless1126

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Maybe try taking the card out and doing a through clean of dust and stuff out of the fan/inside.

If you have a window in the side of your tower just buy and install a cheap fan to add some extra cooling

I think you should also list your other specs so we know what you're working with

when you alt+tab to dekstop the gpu usage will go down. the gpu clock might remain the same as 3D clock but when the gpu activity is down (because there is no 3D scene to render on the screen) the core temperature will go down as well. 80c is quite hot but still in the safe range for your gpu. start worried when the temp starts reaching 90c+. but if you don't like the heat (like me) try manually set your gpu fan speed using third party utilities (such as the one that comes with MSI After Burner Overclocking Utility) instead let the driver automatically adjust the fan speed for you. normally the driver setting for fan speed prioritize noise over gpu temperature. hence the fan only starts spinning really hard when card nearing it's maximum operating temperature.

if you already do so and still have problem with the heat and try cleaning your gpu fan. double check your case air flow as well. when talking about air flow it is not limited to fan installed inside the case. the cable arrangement inside the case is also important for smooth air flow inside the case.

PwnageEngage

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013

Thanks for the answer. Can you go into more detail about the cable arrangement? It does look pretty messy in there but i can't find a bigger case where I live. Google search is pretty vague about the subject (clean case, cords neatly placed). I dont know if that would be the case for my setup.