Why intel isn't manufacturing 5nm CPU transistors straight ?

ChairmanSaab

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2013
Really i didn't get it. This company already have all the tech required to manufacture 5nm transistors but they won't. Or they just want us in upgrade loop ?

Another question: What would happen after 5nm or 1nm ? 100pm ? magnetic cpus perhaps ?

Thanks.

In order to build our 14nm the cost is over $5 Billion. So even if we know how we are going to do our 5nm process the ability to build and effectively use that technology out there now. So outside of R&D labs 5nm is still years away.

Shadow_07

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Its all a marketing ploy, Intel can easily make a super 5nm CPU if they wanted, but instead they want you to spend all your money buying all their current stuff, only to throw it away and spend even more money on the newest stuff.

Intel are not stupid, They have the power, they just give us small bits of it, I mean what good would it do them financially if they just handed you NASA-level technology for 200 bucks?

satyamdubey

Distinguished
^ there's a reason why I put a link in my previous post. Please read through it before churning out conspiracy-type theories. Profit making is not business ethic. It's business right.

ChairmanSaab

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2013

Thanks! yep, i had read that before but i didn't understand it well. (i have Crappy brain ?)

Hmmmm, but why don't Intel keep 22nm for a year or two and save $$.
Therefore they will get enough money to invest in 5nm process? Afterwards intel would be able to produce 5nm chips if money is really a concern,no?

# How to choose best answer here ? i can't seems to find a button :(

satyamdubey

Distinguished
^ another reason for it is vendor support cycles. Intel board manufacturers for instance will need to upgrade their tech with every upgrade in Intel tech albeit MSI/AsRock won't have the same capital and resources to up their tech within two years to support 5nm cpu's. gpu manufacturers must be able to support the pcie bandwidth/lanes that 5nm cpu's will come with and all this requires establishing standards, high quality control measures and stability testing of platforms.

What babernet has suggested in his post, simply put, means that after 90nm, reduction in cpu transistors' size has not had such a huge impact in performance gain. That's the reason that 22nm cpu are only 10% faster than 32 nm cpu's and not like 2 times faster. There are physical constraints to cpu speed which are beyond the limits of improved instruction architecture.

KevinMaguire4

Honorable
May 4, 2013

NASA level microelectronic technology tends to be a few years behind consumer grade.