Need advice on my AMD phenom II x4 750k turbo-boost!

Ethancol

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Its a 3.4GHz as standard, but on the box it says the turbo boost knocks it up to 4.0GHz..

So I checked it out on AMD Overdrive Utility, and on the Turbo control panel, it states that it only turbos to 3.7GHz with the 'option' to go to 4.0GHz.

Is it ok to knock this slider up to 4.0GHz on the turbo? The temperature reading on the AOD is pretty buggered mind, reading at ambient about 5.0C LOL!

Also, as it's the case, what's the best way to check turbo'd temperature if the AOD doesn't read correctly? Correct me if I'm wrong but going into BIOs only reads ambient temperature right?

These may seem newbie Q's, but that's because they are ;) I'm relatively new to the world of PC tech!

Many thanks for the help in advance!

satyamdubey

Distinguished
1. Going into BIOS will show you cpu temp however cool&quiet and power saving states will both be disabled and that temp will be higher than what you would see in windows (as it will employ cool&quiet and cpu p/c states to draw less power and run cooler under light load demands).
2. Temp monitoring programs that are good are core temp, real temp, Open hardware monitor and CPUID HW monitor.
3. Depending on your mobo, your BIOS can report cpu, nb and sb temps along with some auxilliary temps.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
and i forgot to answer the first part of the question. You can knock that slider up to 4 ghz but check that turbo for stability. Since it's turbo and not a 24/7 OC, you may get by with it using the stock cooler as the cpu spends very little time in turbo (1-1.2 seconds) before clocking down, reaching the TDP and then turbo again.

to check stability, use a program like prime 95 to see if you see BSOD due to unstable clocks or crossing temp thresholds.