Just bought a GTX 660 - What kind of power supply?

TheGeekLocker

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hello world. As the tittle says I recently bought a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 for my HP Desktop. My desktop have a 460Watt supply and the cards minimum is 450W. Should I be worried about upgrading soon? Or should this card run fine? Please let me know asap thanks.

Current Specs before upgrade:

AMD FX-6120 Six Core Processor - 3.6GHz, (up to 3.9GHz, On Overclock)
8GB DDR3 Ram
1TB Hard Drive
Dedicated Graphics: 3GB Video Card - GeForce GT 640
WiFi - 802.11 Wireless
460w Power

Please let me know. Thanks.

you should be fine if the power supply is good quality. When picking power supplys, quality is much more important than the wattage. Your system only needs about 300W at full load but most cheap power supplys can't even deliver that even if they are advertised to be much higher wattage.

If you have the brand and make of the powersuppy, its much more useful than the wattage. you can also find the max wattage supplied on the +12V rails.

Its likely going to work with the card but its not a good power supply. If you have the money, its best to get something better. I recommend something better. Stick to brands like corsair, seasonic and antec. You don't need a high power one, somewhere about 500w should be more than enough but those brands generally don't break down when pushed.

TheGeekLocker

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Ok thanks! Will do.