computer shutting off during gaming? and other weird stuff?

Shawn Dulsky

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
hello all, well just recently my computer started shutting down randomly.. i was in the middle of playing FORGE for steam, and all of a sudden it just shut off.. so i restarted the computer...and as it show's all my information on the screen...that started taking a few minutes...so i waited and it finally got to the "windows is starting" screen and now it just sits there for like 15-20 minutes and it will FINALLY load window's... which.. um okay im not exactly what the problem is... but ok so i finally get on window's and i uninstalled the last thing..which was FORGE.. and ".net microsoft framework" then i download CPUID, i put starcraft 2 in a window and i start to look at the temp's...well it got to 83c just about instantly, and i shut the game off because i didnt want the computer to power down again. i then looked up online on my other computer, to find out..well 83c isnt good.. at all.. lol so i bought some new thermal paste... after already looking at the CPU, it has plenty on it.. but i will just start fresh and go 1 step at a time, anyone else have any of these issues before? or could possibly how to take on the approach to fix it?.. windows was literally JUST installed, and its a fresh install.

Shawn Dulsky

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
hello thanks for answering! i am currently on a laptop, i got a T9300 @2.50GHZ and my mobo is intel PM965 (i think, im using CPU-Z to look for it) ans as of my heatsink and fan, i am not exactly sure either, it came with the laptop...its a bronze like bar that leads to my processor, and to the back of the computer where the heatsink is the laptop i have in general is a Dell Gateway XPS P-6831FX if that will help!

better yet, maybe this will be a little bit better, i am using this as my heat sink
https://www.skyline-eng.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=7492

Joshua McCorkle

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I have the exact same laptop and had the exact same issue as mentioned above. When i started any type of intensive gaming, my laptop would jump to 90+ Celsius and would turn off after about 15-20 minutes of gaming. After trying literally everything, I was worried that I would have to buy a brand new computer. Thankfully, I stumbled upon "Undervolting". You can read more about undervolting at this link: http://

Let me first say that I would only try this if you have literally tried everything else. Many times it's just a dust issue. If you have exhausted all other options, give undervolting a try. I set my voltage to 1.10 for all my multipliers and it works great now. Instantly I noticed that my temperatures dropped to 50-60 Celsius during gaming, and I haven't had a spike above 60 since I undervolted. I hope this helps you.