Upgrade PSU & graphics card in a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-175a

sneedy

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hello all,

Bit of a noob here when it comes to opening the case and touching anything, let alone replacing things. (Swapped some RAM years ago, so at least I've gotten past that hurdle.)

I'm contemplating upgrading the OEM PSU to at least 500W so I can upgrade to a superior video card (the current one is okay for gaming but I have to keep it at medium to low settings).

I've got two main concerns:

1) Connectors for both the PSU and the graphics card - will they fit the mother board? The PCIe connector looks standard but will the HP mobo require an HP PSU?

2) Frying the rig with a more powerful PSU - it's currently 350W

I have an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-175a with these specs:
- Intel Core i5 CPU 750 (2.67 GHz x 2)
- 4GB RAM
- motherboard (with 'One PCI Express x16 slot (for graphics card support)') info here
- complete specs here.

The card I've got my eye on is the Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7870

Thanks in advance.

1) Connectors for both the PSU and the graphics card - will they fit the mother board? The PCIe connector looks standard but will the HP mobo require an HP PSU?
mobo should follow the world standard, unless it is server/special purpose mobo. the connector will always be the same.

corsari cx 600 v2
xfx 550/650
seasonic 520/620

those psu are very suitable for i5 and 7870 combo

sneedy

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for that. I think in the end the issue is the length of the 7870 - it's an inch or so too long for my case. So I've gone with a lesser card but it's better than the OEM card (7.1 WEI vs 6.5). And I changed it all by myself. So that happened.
Thanks everyone - this is a great forum.