GA-Z77-DS3H Can't access BIOS, no OS, but Spalsh screen is there [SOLVED]

Tirnion

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
[EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED! My monitor was not displaying the BIOS screen, even though it was there. Swapping the monitor fixed the problem. I still don't understand why, but unless I find an afternoon to test and troubleshoot that, I'm considering this issue closed.

--Tirnion]

Last night, I put together my new system, and everything went well. I didn't try to access the BIOS, but when I put in a flash drive with the Unibeast Installer, it went to the Language Selection page without any problems. At that point, I needed to leave to work, so I decided to power down the computer, in case anything happened while I was gone.

When I got home, I restarted the computer, and I couldn't get the installer to get to the Language screen again. I tried re-laoding the installer onto the flash drive, but it wouldn't work. So I tried resetting the BIOS (probably not the smartest thing I did yesterday).

Now, I can't access the flash drive, and I can't access the BIOS to change the settings. When I boot the computer, I get the splash screen for 1/4 - 1/2 seconds, but I can't get anything beyond that except a single "-" that flashes once, then goes away.

If I hit the reset button instead of powering off and on, I only get the "-". I get the same result if I mash the "Delete" key from power up. I have tried this on a USB and a PS/2 keyboard. I have tried unplugging the USB mouse, and disconnecting my SSD from SATA.

I have tried pressing F9, F12, END, DELETE, ALT+F2, and F1. I can't get it to work.

It is possible that there is a POST screen that would give me more information, but since I'm using a CRT, it takes a bit to warm up enough to show anything.

I'm posting this from work. I won't be able to try any fixes for at least the next 5 hours.

System:

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz LGA 1155 Processor

RAM
Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules)

Case
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower ATX Gaming Case

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

SSD
SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5"

Wifi
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express

PSU
Corsair HX Series HX750 750 Watt ATX 12V Modular Power Supply

Monitor
Old Dell VGA CRT 1024x768 (exact model unknown)

Tirnion

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I tried the TweakTown one last night, and I'd just read the other one before I posted. I just tried a couple other tests, and I've gotten some interesting results.

The splash screen seems to be at 1024x768, but my monitor looks like it's only getting 800x600 or so of it.

If I hold down CTRL or ALT during power-up, it will freeze at the Splash Screen until I release the button, or press another button. This works with either PS/2 or USB keyboards. I'm trying resetting the BIOS again using the technique listed here http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/solved-bios-problems-with-gigabyte-mobo-easy-solve-351755.html#post1999931 . I'll update once I have any news or if anyone else has any other ideas.