Running without video card, CPU idling at around 55C

I recently built a computer with these specs

Processor: amd a10 5800k
mobo: GA-F2A85X-UP4
PSU: Cooler Master GX - 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply

there is no video card in the computer, the graphics are running from the processor. from the bios screen the cpu reads around 53-55C. other programs like speccy and speedfan give me different results. whenever i open a program, the cpu temp spikes about 15C, then goes back down. if i run a game like minecraft it gets up to 85C. is this because there is no video card? i have 5 fans plus the stock cooler for the cpu and its still running pretty hot. any suggestions?
7 answers Last reply
More about running video card cpu idling 55c
  1. You must be running that in an extremely tiny case. If not, reseat the heatsink. Or reapply the thermal paste - I have gotten heatsinks with pre-applied thermal paste that had bits of cardboard from the box embedded in the paste. ..Not saying that's your problem but it's something to consider.
  2. anxiousinfusion said:
    You must be running that in an extremely tiny case. If not, reseat the heatsink. Or reapply the thermal paste - I have gotten heatsinks with pre-applied thermal paste that had bits of cardboard from the box embedded in the paste. ..Not saying that's your problem but it's something to consider.


    i've tried reapplying thermal paste. i smoothed it out and made sure a thin layer was covering all of the cpu, then put the heatsink on. it gave me the same temps. i was thinking about getting a new cpu cooler, but i'm not sure if thats really the problem.

    btw, i have a cooler master elite 430 case
  3. smoothing out the thermal paste is not the best way to apply it. usually just a little dot slightly smaller than a dime, the heatsink should spread it evenly. Also bios temps are never wat u get in windows, they should lower once in windows
  4. lazyboy947 said:
    smoothing out the thermal paste is not the best way to apply it. usually just a little dot slightly smaller than a dime, the heatsink should spread it evenly. Also bios temps are never wat u get in windows, they should lower once in windows


    once in windows, i get mixed results. right now with just chrome open, speccy is giving me 45-55C idle while speedfan is giving me 15-25C

    also, whenever i open anything new, no matter what program it is, my temp always spikes up about 15 degrees and then gradually comes back down. is the fact that i'm not using a video card the cause of it running so hot and spiking in temperature? i also don't know what programs to trust as far as temperature.
  5. This "spiking" is a characteristic of traditional GPUs: http://i.imgur.com/JdYqNhZ.png . It is very possible that the programs you open prompt the iGPU clock to raise momentarily which would be normal. It's just the 45-55°C that's high, however not terrible.
  6. anxiousinfusion said:
    This "spiking" is a characteristic of traditional GPUs: http://i.imgur.com/JdYqNhZ.png . It is very possible that the programs you open prompt the iGPU clock to raise momentarily which would be normal. It's just the 45-55°C that's high, however not terrible.


    Yeah 55 isn't bad, but if I play a game, minecraft for example, it will stay at a consistent 85-95. Is this because there is no video card and the CPU is running the graphics? Will a better quality CPU cooler help this issue, or do you think it will persist until I install a video card?
  7. Its not due to not having a GPU its either a bad or badly mounted cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Processors AMD CPUs Computers Graphics Cards