Your question

Running without video card, CPU idling at around 55C

Last response: in CPUs
March 15, 2013 3:42:00 PM

I recently built a computer with these specs

Processor: amd a10 5800k
mobo: GA-F2A85X-UP4
PSU: Cooler Master GX - 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply

there is no video card in the computer, the graphics are running from the processor. from the bios screen the cpu reads around 53-55C. other programs like speccy and speedfan give me different results. whenever i open a program, the cpu temp spikes about 15C, then goes back down. if i run a game like minecraft it gets up to 85C. is this because there is no video card? i have 5 fans plus the stock cooler for the cpu and its still running pretty hot. any suggestions?
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2013 8:07:40 PM

You must be running that in an extremely tiny case. If not, reseat the heatsink. Or reapply the thermal paste - I have gotten heatsinks with pre-applied thermal paste that had bits of cardboard from the box embedded in the paste. ..Not saying that's your problem but it's something to consider.
March 16, 2013 3:34:19 PM

anxiousinfusion said:
You must be running that in an extremely tiny case. If not, reseat the heatsink. Or reapply the thermal paste - I have gotten heatsinks with pre-applied thermal paste that had bits of cardboard from the box embedded in the paste. ..Not saying that's your problem but it's something to consider.

i've tried reapplying thermal paste. i smoothed it out and made sure a thin layer was covering all of the cpu, then put the heatsink on. it gave me the same temps. i was thinking about getting a new cpu cooler, but i'm not sure if thats really the problem.

btw, i have a cooler master elite 430 case
Related resources
a b À AMD
a c 175 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
March 16, 2013 3:58:47 PM

smoothing out the thermal paste is not the best way to apply it. usually just a little dot slightly smaller than a dime, the heatsink should spread it evenly. Also bios temps are never wat u get in windows, they should lower once in windows
March 16, 2013 6:06:42 PM

lazyboy947 said:
smoothing out the thermal paste is not the best way to apply it. usually just a little dot slightly smaller than a dime, the heatsink should spread it evenly. Also bios temps are never wat u get in windows, they should lower once in windows

once in windows, i get mixed results. right now with just chrome open, speccy is giving me 45-55C idle while speedfan is giving me 15-25C

also, whenever i open anything new, no matter what program it is, my temp always spikes up about 15 degrees and then gradually comes back down. is the fact that i'm not using a video card the cause of it running so hot and spiking in temperature? i also don't know what programs to trust as far as temperature.
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2013 6:21:40 PM

This "spiking" is a characteristic of traditional GPUs: http://i.imgur.com/JdYqNhZ.png . It is very possible that the programs you open prompt the iGPU clock to raise momentarily which would be normal. It's just the 45-55°C that's high, however not terrible.
March 16, 2013 9:17:54 PM

anxiousinfusion said:
This "spiking" is a characteristic of traditional GPUs: http://i.imgur.com/JdYqNhZ.png . It is very possible that the programs you open prompt the iGPU clock to raise momentarily which would be normal. It's just the 45-55°C that's high, however not terrible.

Yeah 55 isn't bad, but if I play a game, minecraft for example, it will stay at a consistent 85-95. Is this because there is no video card and the CPU is running the graphics? Will a better quality CPU cooler help this issue, or do you think it will persist until I install a video card?

a b À AMD
a c 102 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2013 1:49:40 AM

Its not due to not having a GPU its either a bad or badly mounted cooler.
!