GPU under full load for long periods of time?

draucia

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hey I just got into bitcoin mining and I was wondering how bad would it be for the health of my Radeon HD 6870 if it is running at almost full load 24/7? The temperatures average around 70 degrees F (I can lower if I make fan speed 100%). How shorter would be the life of the GPU if I did this VS. if I used it normally and not under full load all the time? Also with my computer being on 24/7 would other components be affected? The CPU, RAM, or PSU?

D

Deleted member 362816

Even running folding at home 24/7 is bad for your pc. Its putting wear on the components risk vs. reward I guess.

running 24/7 will cut your component life in half if not more. 70c that's not good. I water-cool my rigs that run 24/7

D

Deleted member 362816

just a added fyi bitcoin is kinda proven to be a scam lol or a pyramid scheme. Your are more or less running data for "banks" and they give you bitcoins. Been there done that. Don't quit your day job.

draucia

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

You're telling me one thing and you're linking me another. What you're telling me is that it's a proven scam/pyramid scheme. What you linked are a bunch of scams (as in theft) and account hackings committed by some small companies or individuals.

And can anyone else confirm the "cut your component life in half if not more"? Is this true?

D

Deleted member 362816

Lmao, anything that sounds to good to be true is. think about it.

As for cutting the life in half its like a car the more you drive It the more it breaks down. The hotter something runs a longer amount of time the worst it is on it. Its very simple Unless it is a work station card or watercooled its not really meant to run 99% load 24/7 365

draucia

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Let's just ignore the bitcoin thing on this thread.

So do you think if I turned up the fanspeed really high (85%+) and I kept temps under 65 would it alright to run it for long periods of time?

D

Deleted member 362816

with a constant fan speed of 85% I would bet the fan will only last a few months if left on 24.7, I don't think you understand what I am telling you. I used to do Folding at home which maxed out my gpu's and cpu at 75%-99%, I had to watercool these rigs because I was going threw parts like crazy. You are going to soon find out that you will spend more fixing your computer then you will make. Btw I farmed bitcoins for awhile was avg 2-4 day with all my rigs. my power bills and upkeep on my computers costed me more then the 47$ I was making selling each unit.

draucia

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Alright, thanks. I guess you're right. The $2 I'm making everyday is probably not worth running my computer all day. Thanks for the help and sorry if I sounded a little rude. How do I mark the best answer?

D

Deleted member 362816

This is a discussion thread you cannot mark a best answer here. Im glad I could help you.