Memory seems to be overclocking itself 1413MHz

Matsushima

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hello, I recently made a new gaming build (specs below) and overclocked the processor to 3.6GHz with the FSB to 212 and the multiplier to x17. On CPU-Z the memory DRAM frequency was 707-708 MHz but the frequency is supposed to be 667 MHz (DDR3 1333). Also in the BIOS screen it shows DDR3 1413. I have 2x2GB Kingston DDR3 1333 memory. I think it happened after I overclocked the processor. Is this normal and will there be any damage to any components? I am a bit of a noob at memory. If this question has been answered sorry and please post a link to it.

Thanks in advance

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Any time you increase your FSB or your HT (AMD), the memory speed will also increase. That is normal. The buss and the memory are tied together. As long as your memory can handle to faster speed, no problem.

Matsushima

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

Thanks for your reply! I guessed something like that would happen, but will I see a performance increase, even if little, as a a result of the overclocked memory?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Probably not without testing equipment. Memory speed increase makes the least difference of the things you can do. But if the RAM is of low quality, it may cause a BSOD if taken too high. 1333MHZ RAM taken to 1413MHZ should be fine though. If you want to test it, run a full pass with Memtest. http://www.memtest.org/
Or even the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostics.