Sound Problems in Windows 7 Going on 3 Days (HELP)

abkaflab

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Well the other day I changed my wifi adapter from one PCIE slot to another, and now I have absolutely no audio in windows. I have the MSI 970A-G46 motherboard if that matters to any of you. Ive just tried about everything and spent a good 6 hours trying to figure this out, im ready to throw my computer off a cliff. So heres some info, when I enable front panel detection in Realtek the front panel goes from Device Connected to Device Unconnected non stop until I disable it. In device manager under sounds, video, and game controllers there is "Realtek High Definition Audio" and 'AMD High Definition Audio Device". The computer does detect my speakers. Although there has been no sound whatsoever in three days. Something Ive noticed from before when the audio worked is that when I click the speaker symbol at the bottom right instead of the Realtek symbol at the top now it shows the windows speaker icon. I have no idea what the problem is as Ive tried just about everything, could it be a bad onboard sound card? But then I wouldnt have the Realtek High Definition Audio in device manager right?

EDIT: I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling drivers multiple times.

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Yeah it's potentially a bad part of the motherboard. Individual pieces of it can malfunction, especially if you run into something like a power surge/spike. The motherboards have technology to prioritize what to "sacrifice" first if it gets over-volted. Have you tried just putting in a cheap sound card to see if that works?

abkaflab

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

I don't have a cheap sound card to use, Id be willing to get one depending how cheap they are. I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the motherboard though. I'd have to start fresh and reinstall everything right?

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
There is no sound without external speakers.
What is the pupose of the wifi adapter and why did you change it to another slot?

The green audio jack is the audio out.

Just download a recent version of the audio driver and install, it might be that your version is incorreect or in fault.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G46.html
Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC892
Windows 8/7/Vista Version: 6.0.1.6823

Don't re-install the OS, it's only a driver issue or something. not an OS specifc problem.

imapc

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

I've seen sound cards go as low as $25 before in retail stores like Staples or Best Buy or MicroCenter depending on what's near you (I'm assuming you're in the U.S.).

If you have a Best Buy near you: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Creative+-+Sound+Blaster+Audigy+SE+PCI+2.1+Sound+Card/1250442.p?id=1218410299977&skuId=1250442&st=sound%20card&cp=1&lp=4

Check stock on that using your ZIP code.

I checked Staple's website and I can't find a sound card that you can buy in a retail store, oddly enough. MicroCenter will definitely have them if you have one in your area. You could very well have a bunch of other electronic retailer chains near you that I don't know about, anyway. So use your imagination.

Make sure before you buy it that you have an available slot on your motherboard to put it in.