Help w/ GAMING server 0_0

HempyHustle

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I am in the USA,ARIZONA. I am wanting to host some game servers.
I am wanting to do this on my own dedicated server.

I ran this question by ViLayer when thinking about renting and they gave me stats on server they could offer me that would give me ability to host the games and voice chat below.

1. ArmA 2 DayZ Mod Server
Requirements: http://support.dayzmod.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=1

2. ArmA 2 WASTELAND Server
Requirements: SAME AS ABOVE!

3. Minecraft Server
Requirements: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Server/Requirements/Dedicated

4.TS/MUMBLE Server
Requirements: ?

Stats on ViLayer server they suggested I rent from them:

2x Xeon 5420 (Dual CPU Server)
500gb HD
8gb RAM
Windows Server 2008 Web Edition

So i went and looked up this server to see how much it was to buy & I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-F1DH-SERVER-2X-XEON-E5420-QUAD-CORE-CPUS-8GB-MEMORY-4x-1TB-SATA-HDD-/170892263709?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D6274647115531455570%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D170892263709%26

Now my 1st question is:

Is this good enough to do what I am wanting?

2. What would i need in addition to this server to fulfill my goal?

3. Should I buy this for a HOME server?

4. Can some suggest something better for HOME use?

5. I would also want to be able to host a community website on the server.

Here is my internet speeds from my home service:

Company: Cox Comunications
150 mbps Download
20mbps Upload
Unlimited bandwidth No overage penalties

I do plan to have ALL servers running at same time, but I plan for no more then 40 players on any of them at one time to start. Future goals are 100-200 people on all servers combined at one time. Thought this info could help.

dingo07

Distinguished
A1 - Yes it will work, but there is always better for more $$$
A2 - You need a dedicated internet connected = static IP from your ISP that is not part of a pool that get's rotated every month
A3 - depends, if you want better longevity then you should spend more on better hardware
A4 - what's your budget?

HempyHustle

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Well I was looking for cheap as possible that would do exactly what I want in my post above. But still have room to add more games later if I so choose.

We are small community so like I said not gonna have more then 40-60 people to start on server at one time that includes all games and the team speak.

The reason why I picked this hardware is because ViLAYER told me this was what I needed to host all the games & ts I mentioned above. But because Vilayer is in the business of renting servers I could not ask them and thats why I am here to find out WHAT I NEED to do the things I am needing.

SO back to your budget question I want CHEAP as possible but I could spend $500-$1000.

I just want something that can host these apps and give us years of enjoyment.

Question 1: Short answer, no. That setup isn't bad, I run one that's very similar myself. On its own, the server will easily be able to handle any of those games fully loaded individually. It will not be able to handle a fully loaded DayZ, Wasteland, and Minecraft server without choking. 40 people on that is fine, 200 definitely not. A single 500GB hard drive will not provide nearly enough IO to feed all of those servers at once. I would recommend at least 4x146GB 15,000 RPM hard drives to reach the performance necessary for what you want to do. Arma and Minecraft are very demanding on hard disks.

In addition, the chipset used for the Xeon E54xx series Xeon processors (same as second generation Core 2 processors with the E5430 mentioned being about the same as a Q9450) used the DDR2-FBDIMM memory interface which is slower than standard DDR2-UDIMM used in the desktop boards. It allows for a higher total capacity, but has looser timings due to buffering and lower transfer rates overall. If you ever wondered why Intel abandoned the FSB in favor of QPI and integrated memory controllers, this is why; multi socket systems put a lot of strain on it.

Question 2: A lot of AC power, acoustic noise dampening foam, ear plugs, and a damn good internet connection. Rackmount servers are extremely noisy as they're designed to operate inside of closed cabinets with high airflow. They are definitely not something that you want to run at home.

Question 3: see above, probably not a good idea to run at home. If you want to run a game server out of your house, you should get a tower rather than a rackmount. Seriously, if you run that Dell in your room, you won't sleep at all, ever.

Question 4: There are some good Supermicro towers which will fit dual and quad socket motherboards quite nicely. You may be able to get some on the cheap. Ebay is a good place to look as that's where I get a lot of my old parts. The key is to replace the many tiny noisy fans with fewer larger less noisy fans, but keep in mind that any home use is going to get loud and hot. Rather than having one CPU generating 90 watts, you're going to have two or more.

Question 5: Piece of cake.

As for your home connection, DayZ is a huge bandwidth hog. 20mbps upstream is not sufficient at all and last I checked, the DayZ devs don't allow home hosted servers for this reason. You will need to colocate in a datacenter with at least a 100/100 pipe. This will cost about $100 per month for a decent site with unlimited bandwidth.

HempyHustle

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

\
So long story short. I cannot host DayZ at all?
Which would mean i cannot host Arma.

Is my only option truly to rent a dedi?

Is there any Server Tower Models I can get and run from home or does my internet screw me from being able to do this?

You can host DayZ, but unless the rules have changed recently, you can't host it at home. Rules aside, it would still be a bad idea. Same goes for any Arma II mod or any game server with more than about 30 players. Bandwidth scales exponentially with player participation, not linearly.

You can rent a dedi, or you can buy a server and colocate it. It will likely be cheaper in the long run to buy and colocate than it will be to rent. Cheap colo (suitable for game servers, don't need 5 9s of SLA) for a 100/100 pipe starts at around 60-80 bucks per month. I colocate with http://fdcservers.com/ in their Chicago datacenter and have nothing but good things to say about them.

If you absolutely insist on hosting out of your house, then I would recommend buying a tower server rather than a rackmount server. Towers are just like large desktops whereas rackmounts are designed to be put in a datacenter. As far as performance goes, dual socket systems can be found in tower and rack formfactors. Quad socket systems tend to be exclusively rackmount.