Weird Hyper 212 Evo temperatures

zedfonsie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Just installed a Hyper 212 Evo and I'm getting an average of 41.5 celcius idle with core #0 running hottest (46 degrees centigrade) and core #3 running coldest (39 degrees centigrade), why are my temperatures so high?

-I applied a pea sized amount of thermal paste.
-The heatsink moved a lot and it did slide to the right because my table is on a bit of a slope.
-My case is a Haf 922, if that helps.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Well, you may not have a good application. If you pulled it up at all when you first put the base onto the processor; then there is probably air pockets between the cooler and the CPU. I'd suggest a re-application of the thermal paste and make sure you don't lift the cooler off the processor once you make contact. It can be a pain to do when mounting; but it is possible in every respect. Sliding it usually won't hurt anything; but lifting it can kill your cooling ability ten-fold.

Also, with the temperatures like that; it could be the unit isn't sitting flat on the CPU. This means when you bolted it down; it wasn't level which you need to try to make sure it is when installing. However, it could also be a symptom of poor lid contact with the CPU. In this case; there isn't anything you can do aside from tearing the processor open which I DO NOT RECOMMEND as one small move can destroy the chip.

But yeah, I'm going to recommend a re-installation as it sounds like you may have had problems with the first install. Don't let it bug you, even I still do that from time to time; especially with these big ol` coolers these days. Hope this helps bud!

zedfonsie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I re-applied thermal paste and did a more thorough job of installing the heatsink, I'm getting much lower temperatures with my cores averaging 32 degrees centigrade, not sure if these temperatures are good at idle but it's much lower then before. Thanks for help!

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
That's not bad really, it highly depends on the ambient temperatures. I idle on my 2600k at about 30C in my 80F room. So; it's not bad I don't think. :) You're very welcome; it's good to see you got it on there and the biggest thing is after the paste settles; it will probably drop a little more :)