Wireless Bridge to increase network range - help

rochak100

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Hi,

I have a primary wireless router (Netgear WGR614 V5) which is connected to the cable modem in the living room. However, its wireless range barely reaches the end room. Unfortunately DD-WRT and Tomato firmare don't support this router so I cant' hack into increasing the range of radio.

My friend lent me another wireless router (DLink DCM-604) that support bridge mode.

My question is simply - can I use the D-Link router in some fashion to extend my wireless range. I don't need any more wired connections and am simple looking for a way to extend my wireless range

Pls advise if yes, and how to do that

Thanks

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Nope you will need a cable if you the dlink. All bridge mode does is connect the radio link to the ethernet port. So unless you string a cable to where it can get better wireless signal it will not work any better than you end devices. A bridge is mostly used to provide signal to a device that only has a ethernet port. The best use of that router is to run a cable from the current router closer to area you do not get good signal and then run the device as a AP.
Your only no wire option is a wireless repeater but these at the very minimum cut your speed in half and many times they cause other issues.

rochak100

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks for your reply, but can you tell me how to use it as an AP. Should i just run a cable from the back of my primary router to this D-LINK? What should the mode I should keep the D-link (bridge mode? and what should be the SSID settings)

Many thanks

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Since it has bridge mode it likely has AP mode it should show in the manual how to set that and cable it but you can connect lan to lan and disable DHCP and any router can be a AP using that method. Generally people use the same SSID and encryption keys but you want to use a different channel to avoid interfering with your primary router. Your end devices will pick the strongest signal