Sign in with
Your question

PSU for high end custom build gaming pc?

Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2013 6:14:58 AM

Hey guys i am building a custom gaming pc or to be more specific i'm gathering parts for my friend to build it for me.
but anyway i have all the parts chosen but cant find a power supply cause i don't really know how much "watt-power supply" do i need.
Here are the parts i have gathered.

Motheroard: Asus p8z777vd deluxe.

Cpu: Intel core I7-3820.

Graphic card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card.

Ram: G Skill Ripjaws Z 32GB DDR3 PC14900 1866MHz

HDD: Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM – OEM

DVD drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

SSD card: Crucial 64GB Real SSD C300 2.5inch.

OPS: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case

Power supply: _______ Need your help on this one guys. ;) 

besides the power supply can you guys tell me if the pc i am building any good? will it be able to run new high end games such as battlefield 3, skyrim, crysis 3, call of duty etc.... on ultra/max settings? and are all the parts i have chosen compatible and am i missing out any more parts besides keyboard and mouse as well as the monitor and speakers of course lol?
March 16, 2013 9:15:48 AM

Hi,

For starters what's the budget of this build?

I believe your CPU and motherboard aren't compatible. That's a socket 2011 CPU and a socket 1155 Motherboard. I'd go for an i5-3570k for the CPU, you won't notice much difference in gaming between that and an i7.

Video-card is good, it should be able to handle all the games you mentioned at highest settings on a 1080p monitor.

Why 32gb of memory?? No purely gaming machine needs more than 8gb.

You really want bigger than a 64gb SSD. 128gb is the norm for gaming machines. Also that's quite an old model. Go for a Crucial m4 or a Samsung 840 Pro for much stronger performance.

Not personally a fan of closed loop CPU coolers. I think a Noctua NH-D14 will beat the H100 in both price and performance.

Something around the 600w mark by Corsair or Seasonic would be good (Antec are also solid). I like the Seasonic M12ii personally (620w version).

M
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2013 8:49:25 AM

-i7s are not for gaming, i5s perform the same
-x79 chips dont work with a z77 board
-fast ram is useless
-tons of ram is useless for gaming
-cheaper and faster hDDs avaliable
-tiny SSD wont do
-better 670s out there than the ftw. if you dont mind radeon, they perform better and come with free games
-dont bother with cheap liquid coolers. get a heatsink or go full custom

get this and you are good to go
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KhL0

downgrade to a xfx 550w if you are not planning to run 2 video cards in the future
!