Raid0 Boot drive with two varying capacity drives

I have a 30Gig SSD and a 500Gig internal drive. I want to make a Raid0 Boot drive. Is it possible to partition my internal drive and create a raid array between it and the SSD?
4 answers Last reply
More about raid0 boot drive varying capacity drives
  1. You never want to mix SSDs and HDDs in the same RAID array. The array should be all SSDs or all HDDs.

The Read/Write performance of a RAID-0 array is based upon the drive in the array with the slowest Read/Write speeds.

The total capacity of a RAID-0 array is based upon the drive in the array with the smallest size.
    So if you RAID-0 a 30GB drive and a 500GB drive, your array's total capacity (before formatting) will be 60GB (30 x 2).
  2. I have an Alienware M17xr4. It came with a factory raid boot drive using the ssd. For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to boot n nuke my system to start over. It wiped all partitions and the restore cd only installs windows on either of the drives. When I try making the raid volume, I created the 60Gb array, but it leaves the rest of my 500Gb drive useless. What I am asking is if there is a way to create a partition of my 500Gb hard drive that would be usable in a RAID array.
  3. Probably best to check the Alienware Forum to see how to do it: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/default.aspx
  4. I finally figured it out. The resource CD had a program called Intel Rapid Storage. That program allowed me to create the raid volume.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Boot SSD Storage