FX-8120 and false temp readings

Juiffi

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hello.

I bought an AMD FX-8120 processor and problems started right away. AMD Overdrive, HWMonitor and CoreTemp are all showing my CPU temp "slightly" too high. Under stress (Cinebench, Y-Cruncher) everything is linear for a while, but then, at random, the temps jump to 206 °C. After 10-15 seconds the temps start to lower, but then it jumps again.

The false temp reading is not really bothering me, but the fan noise (which I fixed already by setting the Smart FAN enabled from BIOS) and the underclocking really do. My multiplier gets reduced to 7x (which leads to 1,4 GHz clock speed) and I can't do anything with it.

Any tips?

Edit: I already turned off Turbo, C1E, C'nQ and all the other energy saving stuff.

logang

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I am guessing you have a MOBO with a 4+1VRM, it has been revealed that some MOBO manufacturers realized that the FX CPUs draw much more than the 125W TDP they are rated at, and to ensure their boards, which are also rated at 125W would work and not die, put in those temp jumps to throttle down the CPU when draw got too high to save the VRM from certain death.

Jesus Gomez

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I just want to say that i have the exact same problem since I added a gfx card, same MoBo also(msi 760gm-p23) but different processor(Fx-6100) and found a guy in some forums that added a kind of a long heat sink over the R50 chips, i haven't tried but it said it supposedly works.

By the way, the only solution is to buy another MoBo?

logang

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
It would make sense that adding a heatsink, a conductive material to draw heat away from the VRM section, would reduce the frequency at which the cpu speed is throttled down due to power draw/heat.

It is also worth mentioning that the best solution is to get a motherboard better equipped to handle a high draw CPU, something with a 8+1 VRM section.